Subsidised travel for people on benefits.

Still dont think you are explaining it very well. I get the "there are jobs around bit", but not the bits before. Clear as mud.

Are you just saying people on JSA shouldnt get assistance with travel to interviews?

Sorry, I am confusing Dutch benefits with the British system, in the Netherlands JSA is for a set period, after that it drops off to a lower benefit.

In which case my reasoning is the following: People that are new benefit claimants (JSA, not the other forms of benefit such as DLA and such) should have a period with support (including public transport, but only if demonstrated that it was to go to an interview). After that period it should be stopped. The period in the Netherlands is 6 months which I think is more than enough to find a new job.

Sorry, I am confusing Dutch benefits with the British system, in the Netherlands JSA is for a set period, after that it drops off to a lower benefit.

In which case my reasoning is the following: People that are new benefit claimants (JSA, not the other forms of benefit such as DLA and such) should have a period with support (including public transport, but only if demonstrated that it was to go to an interview). After that period it should be stopped. The period in the Netherlands is 6 months which I think is more than enough to find a new job.

Ok tzil. You can see why i was saying your other posts made no sense.

---------- Post added 06-04-2014 at 19:21 ----------

It is quite simple if they get jsa they should use that to get to interviews and not expect other hand outs.

Yeah right on Mark. You do know they can get assistance to an interview though. Hope that grates with you.

It is quite simple if they get jsa they should use that to get to interviews and not expect other hand outs.

Have you tried paying to get to interviews (potentially in other cities) using only JSA?

I did, when I was briefly out of work a very long time ago when benefits were low but living costs were lower. It wasn't easy, I can tell you that. There were times when it was a choice between affording food or affording to travel to an interview.

There is discounterd tickets for people who are on JSA.

http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/ticketFinder/

No, there isn't... not for just Sheffield....

---------- Post added 06-04-2014 at 19:50 ----------

What when your out-goings are more than your JSA and you are left with Zero after paying all your bills, and doing your weekly shop (of which you only have about £10 / week for food, and travel combined)

Then you need to go to an interview in Leeds, that costs £12 on the train?

Yes the Job Centre can help towards money for your interview, but you often have to pay the money first, then they will refund it once you have the ticket to prove it...

No, there isn't... not for just Sheffield....

---------- Post added 06-04-2014 at 19:50 ----------

What when your out-goings are more than your JSA and you are left with Zero after paying all your bills, and doing your weekly shop (of which you only have about £10 / week for food, and travel combined)

Then you need to go to an interview in Leeds, that costs £12 on the train?

Yes the Job Centre can help towards money for your interview, but you often have to pay the money first, then they will refund it once you have the ticket to prove it...

Than you haven't saved enough to cover the period you are unemployed. I appreciate there are people that can't save enough, but there are other means to cover that short-fall. In a city like Sheffield, if you want to find work, you can.

I have been unemployed in the past and I got no help. I found a job and I work hard I feel no shame in spouting your so called sanctimonious ********* . I didn't ask for any help and I didn't expect any help. I pay my own way whether it be transport or whatever. I don't feel that I should subsidise other people through my taxes. Or maybe I should stay home all day sign on the dole and claim every thing I can. What does Vulcan B2 think about that

*I* think "You're all right, Jack, and you're pulling up the ladder".

May I suggest that you neither grow old, or become sick? I worry that that may knock some of the sanctimony out of you...

Just under 9 years ago when I was called to go for an interview I had less than 1.50 in my pocket from my benefit. It was the day before I got paid. I couldn't walk for the interview as I have a health condition that would make that impossible.

If it hadn't been for my dad, I wouldn't have been able to get to my interview and back. That 'loan' from my dad was the difference between me getting the job and not in my view. Yes I was paid the money back from the Job Centre once I proved I went to the interview. But that isn't the point.

Benefit money does not always stretch far enough. Every little does help when looking for work, and I do not want to be sat around on my arse when I am made redundant in a few months time.

*I* think "You're all right, Jack, and you're pulling up the ladder".

May I suggest that you neither grow old, or become sick? I worry that that may knock some of the sanctimony out of you...

Not only am I pulling up the ladder I am holding the ladder and hiring it out as well.when I become too old or sick too work I will not rely on benefits but on the wise investments I Have made in my life through my own hard work. I have never had to rely on others and don't intend to. I have worked hard all my life so don't expect me to feel guilty for what I have achieved.

Not only am I pulling up the ladder I am holding the ladder and hiring it out as well.when I become too old or sick too work I will not rely on benefits but on the wise investments I Have made in my life through my own hard work. I have never had to rely on others and don't intend to. I have worked hard all my life so don't expect me to feel guilty for what I have achieved.

Then aren't you lucky enough to have had the health and the ability to earn enough to make wise investments? Some people aren't that lucky, or that clever, or that healthy.

I'm one of those people. At the moment as well as my other health problems, I can't walk. What do you suggest I do instead of relying on handouts?

I insured my income before I got ill, but that's based on my income before I got ill which means it pays relatively less every year.

Archived