DVLA "problem".

To be brief, just taxed my car online, and i'm told i'll be hearing from them for breaking the law, as the car wasn't taxed for over a month, nor SORNED.

They have the cover as ending on 1/2/14, my tax states the date 31/3/14. :huh:

I'm obviously late taxing it, but the cover i've just bought has taken that into account and started it from 1/4/14.

Given previous experience of trying to work anything out with them, should i just leave it and present evidence if they contact me, or try and contact them, which i know will be an utter nightmare i don't have time for ?

Had a similar thing before and they just asked me to call up and pay the missing month.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

Cheers Moosey. Did you actually owe it, as i don't ?

I don't want some auto generated fine, then have to mess about fighting it, so if they called that would be good. It's just me experience of them doesn't give me any confidence, and experiences of trying to sort anything via e-mail etc even less so.

Cheers Moosey. Did you actually owe it, as i don't ?

I don't want some auto generated fine, then have to mess about fighting it, so if they called that would be good. It's just me experience of them doesn't give me any confidence, and experiences of trying to sort anything via e-mail etc even less so.

Yeah I did if I'm honest. Just forgot once when I had loads of things going on and got round to it three weeks late. I taxed it but for the following month starting.

They called and asked about the missing month and I had to make an extra payment. Went no further.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I think the rule changed to having to register any car that is not taxed has to be sorned,

it's just a back door way to get your cash if you don't sorn the car, they send you a bill from when the tax ran out.

Much the same as having to update your driving license at a cost of twenty quid every ten years. legalised robbery.

A car must be taxed or SORNed. Its been this way for some years.

Assuming the car is registered in your name and has been for some time you should have got a renewal letter inviting you to get more tax or SORN it if it will be off road for some time.

If you've done neither then you can't blame them for taking action. It takes less than a moment to declare it SORNed and there are several ways to do it.

https://www.gov.uk/register-sorn-statutory-off-road-notification#other-ways-to-apply

Statutory Off Road Notification was introduced on 31 January 1998

http://www.nationalnumbers.co.uk/dvla-guide/statutory-off-road-notification-sorn-16.htm

Archived