Is this jade, I'm not sure please help

Hi peeps, please can anyone help, I have an old green ashtray, it's at least 40 yrs old it's a marble green in colour, it won't let me add a pic but I can email a pic to help identify what this could be, help is needed, or if anyone know how I can add a pic please let me know thanks, I have been told from a young age that it is jade, although I'm not 100% sure please email me your email addresses and I will send a pic

Hi peeps, please can anyone help, I have an old green ashtray, it's at least 40 yrs old it's a marble green in colour, it won't let me add a pic but I can email a pic to help identify what this could be, help is needed, or if anyone know how I can add a pic please let me know thanks, I have been told from a young age that it is jade, although I'm not 100% sure please email me your email addresses and I will send a pic

It's probably Onyx, Jade is a very hard substance and I doubt the Japanese would waste their skills on an ash tray.

It's probably Onyx, Jade is a very hard substance and I doubt the Japanese would waste their skills on an ash tray.

I think it probably is, onyx was very popular 40 years ago, my inlaws had onyx ashtrays and table lamps.

The difference is hard to tell really:

Onyx

Jade

They both look like onyx to me Tim. I think of jade as being more uniform, milky green with less obvious marbling effects.

PS we had a teacher at school called Onyx, believe it or not. She was a tartar as well.

I think you may find the Chinese (where Jade is even more popular) are ardent smokers and would love nothing more than a Jade ashtray.

The difference is hard to tell really:

Onyx

Jade

Try this link to see how you can tell compared to other green minerals: Molly.kalafut.org

Well you can't be sure, but I'd be tempted to take the option you took and campare pictures of the two over the Internet. It's probably not a fool-proof technique but you should be able to get a better idea.

Would it be worth taking it to a jeweller and asking them?

---------- Post added 08-04-2014 at 19:21 ----------

They both look like onyx to me Tim. I think of jade as being more uniform, milky green with less obvious marbling effects.

PS we had a teacher at school called Onyx, believe it or not. She was a tartar as well.

Onyx is more black than green from what I can see

---------- Post added 08-04-2014 at 19:26 ----------

Looking at it I'm not sure it is an ashtray, think if any experts on here need to see a pic or 2, it's heavy and has a soapy feel to it

---------- Post added 08-04-2014 at 19:34 ----------

Would it be worth taking it to a jeweller and asking them?

---------- Post added 08-04-2014 at 19:21 ----------

Onyx is more black than green from what I can see

---------- Post added 08-04-2014 at 19:26 ----------

Looking at it I'm not sure it is an ashtray, think if any experts on here need to see a pic or 2, it's heavy and has a soapy feel to it

Think I found it, I think it's malachite

Archived