Drivers on Mobile Phones

I remember seeing a TV interview with an MP (not a well known one I think, and I certainly don't know his name) who had been part of the parliamentary team who had worked on the current legislation (ie to ban hand held phones). He stated that they knew that even mounted phones were a hazard and they had considered banning them at the same time. However, it was felt that the public would not be on board with a total ban, and so they went for just a hand held ban.

Historically, safety legislation seems to be brought in in dribs and drabs, eg

seat belts in front, then seat belts on all seats, then compulsory wearing, or

smoking indoors, then smoking in public places, etc

Maybe it's time to review this again and consider a full ban on phones while driving.

I and others at work use our cars for company business. A few years ago the company offered to fit all singing all dancing after market phone mounting kits into our cars to integrate our works phones when we were out on business (or for the rest of the time also, as we could use our works phone for private calls). I refused. My phone has always stayed in my pocket when driving. People can leave messages if they wish, and I check it when I stop.

Then, a few years later the company edict changed, and we are now expected to not use the phones at all when driving. I think that was a good move (although I know that a lot of my colleagues still use their phones when driving).

I remember seeing a TV interview with an MP (not a well known one I think, and I certainly don't know his name) who had been part of the parliamentary team who had worked on the current legislation (ie to ban hand held phones). He stated that they knew that even mounted phones were a hazard and they had considered banning them at the same time. However, it was felt that the public would not be on board with a total ban, and so they went for just a hand held ban.

Historically, safety legislation seems to be brought in in dribs and drabs, eg

seat belts in front, then seat belts on all seats, then compulsory wearing, or

smoking indoors, then smoking in public places, etc

Maybe it's time to review this again and consider a full ban on phones while driving.

I and others at work use our cars for company business. A few years ago the company offered to fit all singing all dancing after market phone mounting kits into our cars to integrate our works phones when we were out on business (or for the rest of the time also, as we could use our works phone for private calls). I refused. My phone has always stayed in my pocket when driving. People can leave messages if they wish, and I check it when I stop.

Then, a few years later the company edict changed, and we are now expected to not use the phones at all when driving. I think that was a good move (although I know that a lot of my colleagues still use their phones when driving).

Your company has followed the trickle of companies going down that line.

The fact that you suggest that some of your still use phones albeit legally but against the company's H&S policy throws up at least two issues:

- if it goes pear-shaped for any company driver at-work driving the ensuing investigation by the authorities/company won't be good for the employee

- the same investigation could easily spill over into a wider look into company policies. If it is found that the company has H&S policies that it wilfully fails to implement, the company could find itself on a "condoning unsafe practices" charge. Corporate fines are on the up with a case more likely to go to Crown Court (unlimited fines) as opposed to Magistrates Court (limited fine levels). (Coca Cola were fined $40 million a few years back in such a case).

Your company has followed the trickle of companies going down that line.

The fact that you suggest that some of your still use phones albeit legally but against the company's H&S policy throws up at least two issues:

- if it goes pear-shaped for any company driver at-work driving the ensuing investigation by the authorities/company won't be good for the employee

- the same investigation could easily spill over into a wider look into company policies. If it is found that the company has H&S policies that it wilfully fails to implement, the company could find itself on a "condoning unsafe practices" charge. Corporate fines are on the up with a case more likely to go to Crown Court (unlimited fines) as opposed to Magistrates Court (limited fine levels). (Coca Cola were fined $40 million a few years back in such a case).

Myself and a colleague have already raised this, and further instructions have recently come out reminding employees of the change of company H & S policies. My employer is quite hot on this type of issue.

Just read on the BBC news, about a driver opting for a fine and points instead of educational course.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-35891756

I guess there is an easy way out for many motoring offences these days, I cannot see how the easy option works.

What happened to being tough on crime, and the causes of crime? I dont believe in long jail sentences, but surely a monetary fine and the threat of losing your license is the best deterrent?

Just read on the BBC news, about a driver opting for a fine and points instead of educational course.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-35891756

I guess there is an easy way out for many motoring offences these days, I cannot see how the easy option works.

What happened to being tough on crime, and the causes of crime? I dont believe in long jail sentences, but surely a monetary fine and the threat of losing your license is the best deterrent?

Erm, that's what he's got - a fine and points on his licence. He's clearly unrepentant at using his phone when driving so will lose his licence eventually if he keeps doing it.

Erm, that's what he's got - a fine and points on his licence. He's clearly unrepentant at using his phone when driving so will lose his licence eventually if he keeps doing it.

The statements says he was on a mobile phone course yesterday, it didn't work, if true.

Don't you have to pay for the course as well, and some insurers are loading your policy if you've been on one too I seem to remember.

Not to mention taking a day off work to do the course.

Perhaps his free time is worth more than a few quid and some points???

Don't you have to pay for the course as well, and some insurers are loading your policy if you've been on one too I seem to remember.

Not to mention taking a day off work to do the course.

Perhaps his free time is worth more than a few quid and some points???

Yep I chose to take the points and pay the fine, I am self employed and I did not want to take a day out of work.

Yep I chose to take the points and pay the fine, I am self employed and I did not want to take a day out of work.

I guess taking the fine and points will cost you around £400? And no-one really needs to go on a course to know it is wrong. But its the points that will make hardened risk takers change.