Drivers on Mobile Phones

I'll bite, yes it is. Unless you have the ignition off and the keys removed. so if the traffic is really going nowhere then you could LEGALLY turn off the ignition, remove the keys and text away. I presume you are referring to some of the yummy mummy land rover driving clan who park up illegally 0.1m from the school gates and then leave the engine running so they can listen to Capital while awaiting Tarquin who is incapable of walking more than said 0.1m?

The more annoying thing is when people pull over on a completely clear road blocking the other traffic to take a call.

But my point was to the no mercy, hang em and flog em brigade - that there are degrees of texting in places. I will quite happily and safely glance at my phone whilst stationary at lights but not whilst driving on a motorway at ,ahem, 70mph.

We are given mobile phone for our work. Everytime we pick up a passenger, we are meant to click on an app to say we have arrived and departed; very suspect if you ask me.

We havnt started this yet, as the phones dont work. We have been given a hands free, but I still dont like the idea.

We are given mobile phone for our work. Everytime we pick up a passenger, we are meant to click on an app to say we have arrived and departed; very suspect if you ask me.

We havnt started this yet, as the phones dont work. We have been given a hands free, but I still dont like the idea.

What don't you like about the idea?

I have just been googling, and using a mobile, even hands free is against ROSPA guidance in minibuses.

Yeah, I thought taxi drivers were restricted from using any device that required them to touch it. They could use a hands free kit but if they needed to physically touch the phone to answer a call it was technically illegal. Can't find any links to it so perhaps I've made this up...:loopy:

On the radio this morning, I thought that someone said it was illegal to use a phone as a sat nav - it may be that they meant you couldn't hold it and use it as a sat nav, but I'm not sure. Did anyone else hear it, and know what they meant. I think it was on 5-live, but I'm not even sure of that as I heard several different stations at different times.

Yeah, I thought taxi drivers were restricted from using any device that required them to touch it. They could use a hands free kit but if they needed to physically touch the phone to answer a call it was technically illegal. Can't find any links to it so perhaps I've made this up...:loopy:

I think thats the way it is in Scotland, IIRC they're very black and white regarding it.

There does need to be more clarity in the law here, there hasn't been much information as to when you can take a call - so it leads to morons pulling over, or just stopping in the road because they think thats acceptable.

I think thats the way it is in Scotland, IIRC they're very black and white regarding it.

There does need to be more clarity in the law here, there hasn't been much information as to when you can take a call - so it leads to morons pulling over, or just stopping in the road because they think thats acceptable.

I agree; I have seen it that a hands free phone without the wi-fi is not legal; in my situation it is also what the safest thing to do is, for a safety conscious school minibus situation.

I agree; I have seen it that a hands free phone without the wi-fi is not legal; in my situation it is also what the safest thing to do is, for a safety conscious school minibus situation.

Now I understand why you shouldn't be operating a device whilst parked up. It really is very complicated this technology thing. :roll: