Old green driving license True or False?

When I passed and paid for my driving license I got a green paper license and it was valid until I was 70 years old.

I lost my license a few years later and sent off for it to be replaced. I had to get a new one with the photo id on it. The green ones are no longer issued.

I was told that because I had already paid for a license that was valid until I was 70 that it was my choice if I wanted to participate in updating the new photo id license every 10 years.

It is only compulsory for new drivers to have the photo id license updated every 10 years because they can only have the 10 year license and not the old green valid till you are 70 years old license.

Is the above true or false?

I know that newer drivers had to always update. I was informed that previous holders of the green paper license with no photo id had a choice of whether or not they wanted to renew their pink photo id license every 10 years because in fairness they had already paid for a valid license until they were 70 years old.

I know that newer drivers had to always update. I was informed that previous holders of the green paper license with no photo id had a choice of whether or not they wanted to renew their pink photo id license every 10 years because in fairness they had already paid for a valid license until they were 70 years old.

I understood what you wanted to know but I've not found any evidence to back up your info...who told you it was voluntary?

I cannot answer your question John. I just wanted to add that I have a pink paper licence issued in the late 70s and it`s good until 2030. There is no photo on it. I guess that if I lost it I would have to have the photo type license from then onwards.

I cannot answer your question John. I just wanted to add that I have a pink paper licence issued in the late 70s and it`s good until 2030. There is no photo on it. I guess that if I lost it I would have to have the photo type license from then onwards.

I've just read a few articles stating that I, like 2 million other unknowing drivers must renew their driving license every 10 years, what a ripoff. This should have been clearly stated that we were losing our life long licenses for 10 year licenses.

Don't shoot the messenger but I've just read that your license is going to be phased out next year. Photo-card driving licences are set to become mandatory in 2015.

I think that the answer to your question is going to be contained on your driving licence.

Look at the photocard part of your licence. Does the expiry date give your 70th birthday or a date 10 years after you applied for it?

Whatever you were told, if the licence has an expiry date on it then you'll be finding yourself on the receiving end of a fine if you're found driving after that date if you don't renew it.

Archived