Old green driving license True or False?

The photo card may be out of date (proxy identity card!)

The paper part has a different expiry date.

Sensible thinking would dictate that you are still able to drive but cant use the photo card as a form of id.

I know im wrong though,its not right is it.

Must be very annoying to be prosecuted for this as you had no choice, esp if you have other valid photo id to back up who you actually are!.

I have come to understand that what is printed on your old license is just the facts of what you were permitted to do, and for how long, at the particular time it was issued.

There are several privileges that a standard car license has lost since I passed my car test in the 1980s. Including being able to drive a private coach, driving a motorcycle on L plates.

If the DVLA decide that everyone has to take a test every 20 years, what is printed on your license is irrelevant. Likewise, I have suspected for some time that I will have to surrender my patchwork, stickytaped paper license at some stage for an awful modern job with my mug shot on it.

I think that the answer to your question is going to be contained on your driving licence.

Look at the photocard part of your licence. Does the expiry date give your 70th birthday or a date 10 years after you applied for it?

Whatever you were told, if the licence has an expiry date on it then you'll be finding yourself on the receiving end of a fine if you're found driving after that date if you don't renew it.

Thats confusing it has both one for 10 years and on the back when I'm 70.

On the green separate counterpart it simply states when my license started and its valid date until I'm 70.

Your licence is valid as such until you are 70 but the photo isn't, That's why it has to be renewed every 10 years and that has always been the case with photo licences I believe.

I read somewhere though that everyone will require one by 2015 as they are phasing out the old style one, don't know if its true though.

This is why i dont think its fair.

As a form of id then obviously its not valid but as a licence to drive a vehicle then it should be, regardless of the photocard expiry.

You still passed your test and all youve done is not renew the id part.

I can see the sense in the system to stop rogue drivers by the way.

If youve not broken any rules of the road and been banned then i think the expiry of your entitlement to drive should be until your 70th birthday.

The photo card part is irrelevant to this,just a thinly veiled id card.

Unfortunately some members of society thought it was ok share licences that's why the photo one was introduced in the first place, so I guess updating the photo periodically is better than not at all but at £20 it is a bit steep, plus the fiver for the photo.

Unfortunately some members of society thought it was ok share licences that's why the photo one was introduced in the first place, so I guess updating the photo periodically is better than not at all but at £20 it is a bit steep, plus the fiver for the photo.

It doesn't work too well.

One guy gets stopped for speeding says he doesn't keep his license on him. Gives his brothers name. He then pays his (non driver) brother to go to court and take the blame, says he took his brothers car for a spin without his knowledge.

When I passed and paid for my driving license I got a green paper license and it was valid until I was 70 years old.

I lost my license a few years later and sent off for it to be replaced. I had to get a new one with the photo id on it. The green ones are no longer issued.

I was told that because I had already paid for a license that was valid until I was 70 that it was my choice if I wanted to participate in updating the new photo id license every 10 years.

It is only compulsory for new drivers to have the photo id license updated every 10 years because they can only have the 10 year license and not the old green valid till you are 70 years old license.

Is the above true or false?

I can't see why you were told that. As far as I know, as soon as a photocard licence is issued to a new or old driver, the photocard expires after 10 years and this is made clear in the DVLA leaflet which no-one reads, of course.

The date of photo expiry is given on the front of the card in section 4(b). Your 70th birthday is normally (outside of notified medical issues) the expiry date of your licence entitlements given on the card's reverse (vocational truck and bus etc. entitlements excepted).

As has been said, the DVLA will stop issuing counterparts in 2015.

When planning to drive abroad, drivers will increasingly find that fewer countries will accept old-style paper licences when hiring a car so photocards are here to stay. It is clear what old-style licence holders will be "encouraged" to do.

As for "id cards" by the back door, until we have to carry and show id at all times by law this suggestion is paranoid nonsense.

Why is it paranoid nonesence?

As the law stands, if you are a car driver then you have to have a photo id that is up to date and renewed every 10 years to produce when asked to do so.

Its an id card by any standard!

Pretty clear cut to me.

It doesn't work too well.

One guy gets stopped for speeding says he doesn't keep his license on him. Gives his brothers name. He then pays his (non driver) brother to go to court and take the blame, says he took his brothers car for a spin without his knowledge.

This wouldn't seem a very bright thing to do - it would be cheaper for Baldrick to pay the speeding ticket.

His brother would get done for driving without insurance (£250) plus a fine and record for TWOC-ing.

---------- Post added 08-04-2014 at 20:00 ----------

Why is it paranoid nonesence?

As the law stands, if you are a car driver then you have to have a photo id that is up to date and renewed every 10 years to produce when asked to do so.

Its an id card by any standard!

Pretty clear cut to me.

So do you belong to any sort of a club and have a club membership number or card?

Being a club member gets you certain rights and loads you with certain responsibilities and the stewards of the club have a right to expect you to pay your dues and conform to the rules.

Same as driving, really.

Archived