Sailing the world (life-dreams)

One of my long standing dreams is to go sailing the world in my own boat once I retire (in about 50 years if I am lucky).

I love being on the water and I am happy in my own company, fortunately my wife is as well, so hopefully we can do it together one day.

However in the Dutch news today it was reported that a Dutch solo-sailer's yacht had been found, without him on it, floating in the Atlantic. There is also the poor British couple that got taken by Somali pirates. The more I think about it, the harder it seems to actually fulfil my dream when I am older.

We all have dreams: What are yours and will you make it reality?

Tim,

One of my dreams has always been to see United in a cup final, god willing it may happen if only on TV.

My main dream would be to see my great grandchildren being born, sadly I don't think I'll achieve that mate, but still got 3 fantastic grandsons & a granddaughter due in June.

One of my long standing dreams is to go sailing the world in my own boat once I retire (in about 50 years if I am lucky).

I love being on the water and I am happy in my own company, fortunately my wife is as well, so hopefully we can do it together one day.

However in the Dutch news today it was reported that a Dutch solo-sailer's yacht had been found, without him on it, floating in the Atlantic. There is also the poor British couple that got taken by Somali pirates. The more I think about it, the harder it seems to actually fulfil my dream when I am older.

We all have dreams: What are yours and will you make it reality?

Do it and sod the what-ifs. I know several people who have sailed the world and all have made it back without incident, well almost ;)

Tim,

One of my dreams has always been to see United in a cup final, god willing it may happen if only on TV.

My main dream would be to see my great grandchildren being born, sadly I don't think I'll achieve that mate, but still got 3 fantastic grandsons & a granddaughter due in June.

[whisper]I will be rooting for them to do it, if only it was for you pal[/whisper]

Do it and sod the what-ifs. I know several people who have sailed the world and all have made it back without incident, well almost ;)

You don't know how close I have come to doing it, but opportunities always seemed to come along, currently doing a doctorate and interesting jobs in the past. It won't happen soon though, my wife loves her job (at times :hihi:) and I don't want to take her out of that. Also, I only have experience on fresh water and very meek seas (Waddensea) so I still have a lot of learning to do as well.

[whisper]I will be rooting for them to do it, if only it was for you pal[/whisper]

You don't know how close I have come to doing it, but opportunities always seemed to come along, currently doing a doctorate and interesting jobs in the past. It won't happen soon though, my wife loves her job (at times :hihi:) and I don't want to take her out of that. Also, I only have experience on fresh water and very meek seas (Waddensea) so I still have a lot of learning to do as well.

Well, you could always get more experience and crew a boat (short term). There are some pretty useful sites out there eg...

https://www.crewseekers.net/

As for your wife, can she not get a year's career break? :)

Well, you could always get more experience and crew a boat (short term). There are some pretty useful sites out there eg...

https://www.crewseekers.net/

As for your wife, can she not get a year's career break? :)

Ha, the suggestion alone would make her throw me out on my ear :) With me having had the pleasure of doing a PhD on a small grant and living of her income I don't think she would be too amenable to me suggesting she takes a year off without me having put any money towards it first :)

Thanks btw, didn't know of crewseekers.net - very useful site!

Buy a decent camper van and metal detector. Travel around the UK and hopefully unearth enough treasure to fund the next stage of my dream,which is....Hire a camper van and travel the USA. Buy a lottery ticket over there and win enough for my final dream,which is...Buy a sea-front property (probably on one of the Greek Islands) and spend the rest of my days fishing, drinking and not giving a damn.

Ha, the suggestion alone would make her throw me out on my ear :) With me having had the pleasure of doing a PhD on a small grant and living of her income I don't think she would be too amenable to me suggesting she takes a year off without me having put any money towards it first :)

Thanks btw, didn't know of crewseekers.net - very useful site!

I don't want to be the architect of your divorce so I will zip it before I give you anymore ideas :D

Archived