ADHD - The best description yet

I have a genuine problem with ADHD. My brother was diagnosed as being ADHD as a teen, because he was not willing to fit in at school, always argued and generally was the sort of teen you want to strangle.

Obviously we all took the doctor's word for it, he was put on Ritalin and as a consequence ended up in a dreadful dependency cycle, using Ritalin, believing he had an excuse to behave the way he did, blaming the Ritalin when he didn't behave well etc. not until he stopped taking it did he realise what was going on - he wasn't ADHD at all, just boisterous. By that time he had used the countless excuses to drop out of education, despite being a bright lad and it took him years to recover his poor sense of judgement.

We are far too quick to diagnose young people as ADHD and using it as an excuse to drug them. Instead we should look at their diets (sugar)' their parenting structures and so on.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think there is no such thing as ADHD, as described by the OP, I just think it is an easy excuse for when we fail to control and bring up our kids well.

As my late grandad used to say: I never was an angel, but back then they fixed that with a good smack.

(And no, not condoning smacking your kids either!)

I will agree with you too.

Handing out tablets to kids willy-nilly is a cop-out.

Kids will laugh,cry, and be boisterous! All normal human traits, which have been categorised now as a medical condition.

Archived