Newsagents 96 commonside 1911

I can't think that anybody's memory goes back that far!

Commonside is a bit of a sub-area in its own right - on the way to Walkley, down the hill from Crookes. The area is shown as Steel Bank on some old maps, and a couple of the houses on Commonside are called Steel Bank Villas.

96 Commonside would be going up the hill towards Crookes where it becomes School Road and I assume be on the right hand side going up - past the Closed Shop pub which is 52 - 54 Commonside.

I'll have a look for 96 next time I go up that way.

I'm talking 50's/60's now and am not au fait with the numbers of the properties. In another thread, I mentioned five shops near the bottom of Rosa Road that were tucked in by a wall at right-angles. One of those was a papershop and was owned at one time by the Wilson family, I actually delivered some papers from there when the regular boy was on holiday. I think those properties are on Commonside, I believe School Road starts higher up.

THONGBIRD pm/d me to say she knew that family well so perhaps she can enrich the thread further?

I'm talking 50's/60's now and am not au fait with the numbers of the properties. In another thread, I mentioned five shops near the bottom of Rosa Road that were tucked in by a wall at right-angles. One of those was a papershop and was owned at one time by the Wilson family, I actually delivered some papers from there when the regular boy was on holiday. I think those properties are on Commonside, I believe School Road starts higher up.

THONGBIRD pm/d me to say she knew that family well so perhaps she can enrich the thread further?

Yes, 96 is one of the 5 properties on Commonside topside of Rosa Road junction - they're all houses now but you can tell some were shops by the brickwork where bigger windows used to be.

Thanks for all the info. My grt grandfather john Edward white had a newsagents on commonside. I am interested in finding out a little about about Crookes as my grt grt grt grandfather also lived in crookes.I am planning to visit in the easter holidays.

Yes, 96 is one of the 5 properties on Commonside topside of Rosa Road junction - they're all houses now but you can tell some were shops by the brickwork where bigger windows used to be.

Sorry I would beg to differ with that and my earlier thread is confirmed by Longcol as being in a different place. I think you'll find the properties on the left-hand side going up Commonside are odd numbers!

• 2 years later...

As a matter of interestthere used to be a row of cottages opposite the pub just up Commonside.

At the rear of these cottages was another cottage that no one could ever find.

The Watsons used to live there, they were great motorcycle racing fans.

They owned some great racing machines, does anyone remember them?

Happy Days! PopT

Archived