Pure gym joining fee

I have been a member of the Pure gym on Spital Hill and to be honest its a great gym and i was very happy there and its reasonably priced.

However I paid a joining fee and then a monthly DD in which I have no issue but in October I had a H/attack and had to stop my membership.

The good thing is there was no contract i just ended the direct debit but as i'm a gym fanatic I went back in November after only a few weeks and started a very slow programme.

My gripe on this is I had to repay another joining fee of 15 quid only a couple of weeks after.

I think about this and i think they were wrong to charge me again after such a short time, i did state that it was unfair at the time of re-joining but they insisted I pay it or I didn't get back in.

Are they in the right ? not sure myself but due to my reason being a serious one you would have thought they would have froze it.

---------- Post added 09-04-2014 at 18:02 ----------

Sorry put this on the wrong section mean't to be on Sports

• 2 weeks later...

You might have been better off asking if you could freeze your membership for a few months. Most gyms will do that if you become ill. I don't think you've got much chance of getting your joining fee back as you did actually cancel your membership,

You might have been better off asking if you could freeze your membership for a few months. Most gyms will do that if you become ill. I don't think you've got much chance of getting your joining fee back as you did actually cancel your membership,

absolutely agree....

btw, sorry to hear that you have had an HA ..hope you have recovered by now.

I used to use Fitness Unlimited and I could suspend my membership if I wanted.

However, about 2 years ago, they started charging you (think it was 5/month) for each month you were suspended.

At least you don't have to repay a joining fee.

most of the gyms do allow suspending the membership upto two months but in Paul's case he has 'stopped' his membership. So Pure Gym has done the right thing but considering Paul's circumstances, they should have taken exceptional decision and wave his joining fee in my opinion. I do suspend every year when I go on a long holiday...(provided I inform the gym well in advance)

Archived