Pub of the Year 2014

jemson

I would say the beer quality is good in the Kelham, Shakespeares and Harlequin of those first few mentioned and the range interesting in the Kelham and Shakespeares. Harlequin now seems to be just Brew Co and the same few favoured guests like Great Heck (although still worth drinking of course).

Anyway, nothing between the pubs to judge on the beer front so its other things that will be taken note of by judges. Such as the strange smells when you walk in, disgusting toilets and run down feel of Shakespeares. The hit and miss service of Harlequin - for example I observed one recent evening at 10:30pm a customer walk in and stand at the bar, completely ignored for several minutes and walk out again. The landlady was in the kitchen cleaning and the barman was at the other end of the bar having a laugh with a regular having already taken most of the sparklers off the pumps etc - half an hour before close - he wasn't interested in customer service, he was interesting in going home.

That pretty much sums up my experience of the pubs in that area.

I can't find any faults with the KIT. It usually has at least 1 beer I like the look/taste of, the pub is clean and comfortable inside, the beer garden is nice and the service has always been good.

The Shakespeare does good beer, but I've never been as impressed with the drinking environment, inside or outside.

The Harlequin used to have beers that I like (5%+), but my recent experiences have been poor and I also suffered from the poor service you describe. The guy behind the bar was more interested in having a conversation with one of his mates, if it hadn't been for the fact that I was out with ex work colleagues I would have walked out.

I love The Tap, but the prices mean it's a now and again place for me.

Regards

Doom

The wife and I popped into Shakespeares last Thursday, I don't think we will ever go back in. The place stunk vile, seriously it was horrible, the stench of BO was overpowering. We had to stand in the courtyard at the back, even though it was a cold evening.

We usually go in the Fat Cat, Kelham Island and the Ship. They all smell fine, so why does the Shakey smell so bad - or was it a smelly persons convention that evening?

We're planning on going in this afternoon, I'll have to report back as to whether the stink belongs to the premises or to the customers.

We're planning on going in this afternoon, I'll have to report back as to whether the stink belongs to the premises or to the customers.

I was in yesterday and it was fine. They have had periodic drain problems though.

I would put Shakespeares ahead of all its competitors for service. I usually find service at the KIT ok but know others have complained about the boss being really grumpy there. Harlequin can vary for service and I often find the barstaff at the Rutland offhand and disinterested. I`m never too interested in the toilets although I find myself irrationally irritated that there`s usually a bucket and mop left out in the KIT loos!

The service in the Harlequin is generally good - the staff know their products, if you leave a beer they ask whether there was a problem with it or if it was simply not to your taste and you don't normally have to queue too long. Its just late in the evening they seem to like to shut promptly!

Shakespeares - the smell thing - it isn't bad enough to put me off going but you do notice it sometimes.

The point I was trying to make is they are all good pubs with good beer, but the judges choosing which should be pub of the year may notice things like that in order to set them apart.

The Kelham as well as having good beer tends to be clean and tidy, has sympathy with CAMRA's aims (oversized lined glasses, beer range includes milds and dark beers as well as the more fashionable styles for example), has a good cross section of clientele and ticks one or two other boxes too.

I was in yesterday and it was fine. They have had periodic drain problems though.

I would put Shakespeares ahead of all its competitors for service. I usually find service at the KIT ok but know others have complained about the boss being really grumpy there. Harlequin can vary for service and I often find the barstaff at the Rutland offhand and disinterested. I`m never too interested in the toilets although I find myself irrationally irritated that there`s usually a bucket and mop left out in the KIT loos!

It was fine today. My OH did comment on the smell from the toilets but blamed me because we'd just ate at the veggie restaurant just down the road.

The beers I had were great. I do appreciate a really big board with descriptions of the beers, prices and ABV.

The service in Shakespeare's is by far the best of those 3 pubs. Excellent service in fact. As opposed to the grumpy service you tend to find at the KIT.

The service in Shakespeare's is by far the best of those 3 pubs. Excellent service in fact.

My thoughts exactly. Was gonna post to that effect earlier - service in shakey is second to none.

I want to like the service in brewpuppy (not that camra would give them the award!), but find it slightly frustrating - they clearly have knowledge and can offer some good advice, but are a bit corporate. I suppose they're not gonna be allowed to say a beer on offer is rubbish, but it can be hard to get impartial info on a beer. Then again tasters freely available...

I forgot to vote - again. As did my friends who are local CAMRA members.

If I had voted I probably would have voted Sheffield Tap, and then any number of other pubs depending on my mood that week. I do think it's a shame KIT keeps winning (tho I quite like it) as it would be good to showcase other pubs.

Also, while I like Anglers Rest, have always wondered how it can be in "Sheffield District" as it's miles away.

Right, off to the pub ...............

It is down to members to vote......

also note to be on the pub of the year voting paper in the first place it has to have either won a pub of the month award or a place in the Good Beer Guide.

Members can now vote for pub of the month online, the form for new nominations can also be downloaded from the website - http://www.sheffieldcamra.org.uk.

The Anglers Rest at Millers Dale is in the Sheffield & District branch of CAMRA (just), that part of Derbyshire doesn't have enough active members to get its own branch!

All true - "Active Members" by the way. Are there some in-active members :-0

I'll vote next year, get my TEAM active and topple the KIT, We Are The Silent Few haha :-) - you do a great Job Andy C promoting the local ale scene and festivals, and doubt you are appreciated much, but keep it up.

Archived