Pub of the Year 2014

jemson

Yep. A mix but not the quality of several other places in Sheffield.

To be fair, K.I.T. have upped their quality recently and even had a top Kernel beer on keg. I believe there was help from Shakeys in sourcing that btw.

And yes, the toilets are very clean but , within reason, I don`t give a proverbial. For me it`s beer then pub then service that I look for.

Ive never been in the KIT and found anything Id be fussed about drinking. I prefer mid to high strength,well hopped pale ales and IPAs, every time Ive been in its been nothing but golden ales and brown beer. Also prefer keg, which they never seem to have, but have no problem with cask for the right beer.

The rutland, shakey and harlequin, however, are the complete opposite. In fact, well be in the rutty this saturday, as theyve got Magic Rock Citra Highwire and Cannonball on,, and Buxton Ace Edge. Probably call in the Cat for a look (they had Founders All Day IPA and Abbeydale Pale #3 last time I was in), then have a look in the Bath and Brewdog. And Im fairly sure I wont struggle to find something worth drinking.

Ive never been in the KIT and found anything Id be fussed about drinking. I prefer mid to high strength,well hopped pale ales and IPAs, every time Ive been in its been nothing but golden ales and brown beer. Also prefer keg, which they never seem to have, but have no problem with cask for the right beer.

The rutland, shakey and harlequin, however, are the complete opposite. In fact, well be in the rutty this saturday, as theyve got Magic Rock Citra Highwire and Cannonball on,, and Buxton Ace Edge. Probably call in the Cat for a look (they had Founders All Day IPA and Abbeydale Pale #3 last time I was in), then have a look in the Bath and Brewdog. And Im fairly sure I wont struggle to find something worth drinking.

Yeah - what you said! My point exactly.

I'll probably be in the Rutland myself at some poiint on Saturday - but not sure where to go first. Haven't been to Broomhill for a bit so fancying the crawl from the York to the Hallamshire via Fox n Duck, Ball and Closed shop - then 95 bus back down to the Rutty. Unless anyone can suggest a better crawl for a forecast dull but mild day?

---------- Post added 12-09-2014 at 09:45 ----------

Agree about KIT upping their game recently, although personally I still prefer Shakespeare's and the Harlequin over the K.I.T.

Although with regards to Yorkshire pub of the year, I'd be looking comparing the Kelham Island Tavern with the best from the rest of Yorkshire. Is it really that far ahead of the best that Leeds, Huddersfield and York have to offer for instance?

Depends what you're comparing it to in Leeds. I personally have never found a real ale bar there I'd make the effort to go to - but there are a few good craft beer bars. York is pretty much the opposite.

But I think most of us agree that the best pub in Yorkshire is the Grove in Huddersfield. I really can't understand why no-one has recreated that elsewhere. It always seems to be very busy when I go.

As for having a variety of beer styles... yes all very well. But nothing what you would really call premium. Where's the Buxton? Marble? RedWillow? And I've seen a massive dearth of Tempest since I moved from the north east. About time someone brought some down.

I have actually seen Red Willow beer in the Kelham Island Tavern before now!

I have actually seen Red Willow beer in the Kelham Island Tavern before now!

It does appear occasionally. Cavendish seem to have one or two on keg quite often. I hear they are looking at opening another brewery tap. The one in Macclesfield is excellent. And I know it will probably be in Manchester or similar, but would really like them over this side of the Pennines a bit more.

Best pub in Yorkshire not even in the top 5 in Sheffield who the hell is making these ridiculous decisions.......oh wait.....CAMRA.....Campaign for rubbish ale.

I agree, but it's fair enough for CAMRA to vote for whichever pub they like. If I visit another city I don't trust the CAMRA Good Beer Guide as a guide to which are the most interesting pubs (as it doesn't claim to be that).

Most people decide whether a pub is good, bad or indifferent on different criteria to CAMRA. If I was telling a Sheffield visitor which pubs to go to I wouldn't suggest going to the Kelham Island area. Mainly as it's not that nice a place to be and the pubs are mainly real ale theme pubs. Instead I'd suggest the more interesting 'normal' pubs in the centre of town, with the beer being secondary. Most of these thankfully do sell decent beer these days, but some don't. For example, the Forum rarely gets the cask ale right but it's a good place to visit despite this.

Archived