Bogus Bags - A Charity Shops Struggle

I know Leather man...:P

Sorry mate lol

Im normally ok with sarcasm, i missed that one by a mile though :lol::lol:

---------- Post added 11-04-2014 at 10:13 ----------

and the old is getting pushed towards the back.

Well they need to muster up the courage to say "hey! I may be old but STOP PUSHING ME!"

If that dont work then there may be a case for age discrimination.

It maybe a bit unconventional, (unconventional can be good-shake it all up a bit) but I wished charity shops would sell DIY odds and sods similar to car boot stalls. Small pieces of angle iron, dexion, misc nuts & bolts, screws, a few shapes and sizes of timber (not large stocks of it). The occasional mountain bike and small toddlers bikes.

I think it is fair to say that charity shops follow the same pattern as each other, mainly clothes, some ornaments, books and Cds. People know what’s inside, and many simply don’t go in because they know what they sell. British heart charity have broken the mould a little with their stock.

Charity shops tend to be in town centres which is brilliant, but the prime position is kind of wasted or not utilised like it could be. There is massive lost potential. The staff put time and effort in for free, and the takings will be far lower than they could be.

I feel sure that if all the charity shops in the country were turned in to flats and various types of accommodation, and the rents given to the respective charities, it would generate more income than now.

(Cue comments from Chem1st)

i think charging a reasonable price for decent quality items is a great thing for charity shops. These days you can get some genuine value - ie: i havent bought a pair of expensive jeans for about 3 years from new - i've had diesel, levi and red or dead jeans (amongst a few) for less than £5 a pair, all in as good as new condition.

i guess some baulk at paying £5 for a pair of second hand trousers, but each pair has been better quality and lasted longer than a new new pair of tesco or primark cheapo new jeans. The added bonus is that at least some of the money goes to a worthwhile cause, a shop stays open, local people get volunteering opotunities (lots of the cities charity shops offer valuable chances for people with special needs to work / gain social skills / find a vocation).

Plus i get to pretend i can afford a nice pair of jeans. Last week i even got a Stade Francais rugby shirt, unworn, for £4 - i've been wanting one for years (possibly the campest piece of sports ware ever made) but couldnt justify the £70 the cost new, for the sake of a top to go running in.

if all charity shops used the 'pile it high, sell it for pence' tactic, i doubt i'd have the will to root through the crud, and would end up missing out.

Ive just been past the new British Heart Foundation furniture shop in toen and the pricing is crazy.

A second hand 2 seater sofa for £149 that you can get new in Argos across the road for the same price inc delivery.

CD rack £59

Office desk £50

Not cheap.

I used to buy my books in a local charity shop (not the one being discussed here). I used them a bit like a library - I'd buy a couple of books every week and every now and again I'd take the books back for them to re-sell.

I used to pay £1 to £1.50 for a paperback, then they put their prices up. Now I don't go there any more because they are charging more for second hand books than The Works do for the same book but brand new. I did point this out to the shop as I still donate to them, and was told the instruction had come from "Head Office".

Amongst their stock of books is a manual for Windows 3.1 priced at £3.99!

I was in the mind shop recently and there was a coat with a stain on it for 8.99 !!! Charity Shops have upped their prices drastically in the last few years. On more than one occasion I have seen Primark stuff on sale for more than it would have been in the store new.

It is time to sort it out guys, put your prices down and you will sell more, you get it free so the more you sell the more you make...Simples !

Its the same at Crystal Peaks,the heart foundation furniture shop prices there are ludicrous(bearing in mind that they get the the stuff free of charge) My daughter spotted a framed black and white photo of the titanic,that my grandaughter would have loved,at a price of £30........???????? The same one online was £5.99(unframed) This was almost 2 months ago,the last time i went in it was still hung there,not suprisingly.In complete contrast I went to Bakewell yesterday and called in the Air ambulance charity shop,I bought an Abercrombie and Fitch brand new white hoodie for £7.95 and a Joules white fleece for £12.00 I most certainly will be going there again.

Edited by dawn19run