Mechanic's advice needed

Hi everyone, we are needing a little infomation if possible on a Renault Espace 2.2l dci.

About a week ago we was on our way home from a 90 mile journey and we started hearing a noise, while slowing down and turning right i can only describe the noise as a low humming sound, through the week it has been doing it more often and a bit louder.

Then today as my hubby was taking the kids to school there was another noise everytime he turned the wheel either left or right, even when the car is still and we turn the wheel it does the very loud sort of screeching noise cumming from the steering pump.

We have only had the car a month but reading on the Mot advisory list it states movement in rack, but also we can hear a noise coming from the steering pump, we are stuck on which one of the above problems it could be.

we have tryed to get into local garages for a diognosis but they are booked up, we are worried about driving it further away as anything could happen.

We hope someone can shed a light on what the problem might be.

thanks in advance.

jon and emma

Humming could be wheel bearing and pump noise could be as simple as a lack of fluid or loose belt if it isn't direct drive. Run it into the garage, probably wont cost much if at all to have a quick look at it.

If you bought it from a dealer or trader then it's their problem after a months till not yours so I'd take it back to them and get them to sort it.

If it's a private sale then of course you are going to have to fix it - it does sound like there could be two issues though. Have you checked the power steering fluid - is there sufficient - does it look red or is it burnt brown?

Just about to take to the garage then streering proper went.It's leaking steering fluid from the passanger side. The fluid what is left in the bottle is burnt brown but the fluid that is allover the floor is red ?

I wouldn't attempt to drive that..I'd also be inclined not to turn the engine over until you get someone out. Sounds like high pressure pipework shot.

Possibly not - if there is a slow leak at the rack end then it tends to fill the gaiter with fluid that eventually bursts when you go to full lock and it gets compressed. If there is still sufficient fluid in the bottle then it's safe to drive usually.

Sadly this sort of thing usually means a new rack as they leak when worn and that's never a fun thing to have swapped, especially if it's you paying for it.

Possibly not - if there is a slow leak at the rack end then it tends to fill the gaiter with fluid that eventually bursts when you go to full lock and it gets compressed. If there is still sufficient fluid in the bottle then it's safe to drive usually.

Sadly this sort of thing usually means a new rack as they leak when worn and that's never a fun thing to have swapped, especially if it's you paying for it.

I agree with..possibly not, but on the assumption the poster hasn't got a clue or of limited knowledge, it's best to be safe than sorry.

we have managed to find a garage that will come and pick up my car and take it to the garage, sounds good (hope that doesnt cost an arm and a leg too)

they will diognose the problem for me.

thanks for your replys.

will keep you updated.

Oh also called the garage where we purchased the car from, they said they will see what they can do, but wont know until monday.

we have managed to find a garage that will come and pick up my car and take it to the garage, sounds good (hope that doesnt cost an arm and a leg too)

they will diognose the problem for me.

thanks for your replys.

will keep you updated.

Oh also called the garage where we purchased the car from, they said they will see what they can do, but wont know until monday.

Don't let the other garage take it then. The garage you bought it from is liable for this (a vehicle secondhand or not should last longer than a month) but if another garage works on it they can wash their hands of it and you get the bill.

I personally would reject the vehicle outright and buy another one - a rack that has blown fluid like that is not going to be cheap or easy to fix - reject it, get a refund and go look for another car I'm afraid.

Easier said than done if you need the transport for work though of course!

Don't let the other garage take it then. The garage you bought it from is liable for this (a vehicle secondhand or not should last longer than a month) but if another garage works on it they can wash their hands of it and you get the bill.

I personally would reject the vehicle outright and buy another one - a rack that has blown fluid like that is not going to be cheap or easy to fix - reject it, get a refund and go look for another car I'm afraid.

Easier said than done if you need the transport for work though of course!

The garage has taken the car but I have not authorised them to work on it until they have diagnosed it.

Thanks for letting us know though.

Archived