Mechanic's advice needed

The garage has taken the car but I have not authorised them to work on it until they have diagnosed it.

Thanks for letting us know though.

Just on the cautionary side I wouldn't inform the seller that the car has been removed by another garage for the reasons Obelix has pointed out.

Hi again,

We have been on the phone to the CAB and the lady told us the garage that we bought the car from is liable for this. So we called the garage and told them what she said an he said they are not liable. So now it looks like we have got a fight on our hands.

The lady also said that we can get the car repaired if we want to but to keep all receipts and parts that have been changed for evidence.

Anyway we do appreciate all information you two have provided.

Now I have to knuckle down and write the garage a detailed letter.

Any advice on what we should put in that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Emma

Did you pay for any part of the car (ie deposit) or the whole amount on a credit card? If so theya re equally liable and you can request the money back from them.

Essentially yes you will have a fight - it's up to you to decide if it's worth the fight and that depends on the value of the car amonst many other things. You have to give the seller reasonable grounds to fix the vehicle - that would mean a wrttien recorded delivery or better registered post letter stating the problem, and that you need it repairing because it is insufficiently durable and as this appeared within a month or three weeks etc that you consider this to have been present at point of sale, and to have been a problem that was no apparant to an observant buyer. Remember that caveat emptor/buyer beware doesnt really apply to the trade, they have a duty under the sales of goods acts etc to sell items that are "sufficiently durable".

If they refuse then you repair it elsewhere and sue them for the difference. Keep all your documents, write a note of EVERY phone call, when where, what discussed, what letters, emails etc... keep to letters if you can and keep copies - at the very least recorded delivery them. If the CAB are advising listen to them as well.

Could you tell us what the age of the vehicle is and the purchase price?

Hi again,

We have been on the phone to the CAB and the lady told us the garage that we bought the car from is liable for this. So we called the garage and told them what she said an he said they are not liable. So now it looks like we have got a fight on our hands.

The lady also said that we can get the car repaired if we want to but to keep all receipts and parts that have been changed for evidence.

Anyway we do appreciate all information you two have provided.

Now I have to knuckle down and write the garage a detailed letter.

Any advice on what we should put in that would be appreciated.

Thanks

Emma

Not sure how you've played this Emma..you said they offered to look at it initially but now they insist it isn't their responsibility? Did you get their back up by informing them of CAB and what you were advised before they refused liability? I'm always of the opinion that if you initially and have no reason to antagonise a situation then that would be the best course of action..it still leaves you the opportunity at a latter date to go out with all guns.

Don't just write a letter and send..have it vetted first.

Did you pay for any part of the car (ie deposit) or the whole amount on a credit card? If so theya re equally liable and you can request the money back from them.

Essentially yes you will have a fight - it's up to you to decide if it's worth the fight and that depends on the value of the car amonst many other things. You have to give the seller reasonable grounds to fix the vehicle - that would mean a wrttien recorded delivery or better registered post letter stating the problem, and that you need it repairing because it is insufficiently durable and as this appeared within a month or three weeks etc that you consider this to have been present at point of sale, and to have been a problem that was no apparant to an observant buyer. Remember that caveat emptor/buyer beware doesnt really apply to the trade, they have a duty under the sales of goods acts etc to sell items that are "sufficiently durable".

If they refuse then you repair it elsewhere and sue them for the difference. Keep all your documents, write a note of EVERY phone call, when where, what discussed, what letters, emails etc... keep to letters if you can and keep copies - at the very least recorded delivery them. If the CAB are advising listen to them as well.

Could you tell us what the age of the vehicle is and the purchase price?

The car was born November 2004 and we payed £2000 4 weeks ago.

Not sure how you've played this Emma..you said they offered to look at it initially but now they insist it isn't their responsibility?

I think reading through the lines that it's a different garage to the sellers that looked it it?

Not sure how you've played this Emma..you said they offered to look at it initially but now they insist it isn't their responsibility? Did you get their back up by informing them of CAB and what you were advised before they refused liability? I'm always of the opinion that if you initially and have no reason to antagonise a situation then that would be the best course of action..it still leaves you the opportunity at a latter date to go out with all guns.

Don't just write a letter and send..have it vetted first.

Sorry I may not have explained it right, the garage (THE CAR HUT in manchester) said initially that they would look into it not at it, but they said because our 28 days warranty has run out they are not liable. This is why we called the CAB to clarify that they are. We called the garage back because he said he need to talk with his manager, but apparently he is out of the country now (convenient) this is why we had to tell them they are liable.

---------- Post added 11-04-2014 at 17:03 ----------

[/color]

I think reading through the lines that it's a different garage to the sellers that looked it it?

Yes it's a different garage

---------- Post added 12-04-2014 at 18:48 ----------

Had phone call from the garage doing the work on the car. They told us that it is the Steering rack.They will call on monday with a price.Thats our easter holiday out the window.

---------- Post added 15-04-2014 at 09:49 ----------

£660 we have been quoted. And we are going ahead.

Archived