The Great Sheffield Flood

Bradfield Parish Council

http://www.bradfield-yorks-pc.gov.uk

Great Sheffield Flood - 150th Anniversary.

March 11/12 2014 marks the 150th anniversary of The Great Sheffield Flood and as a result events are being planned in the area to mark the disaster.

Monday 3 March 2014 - Illustrated talk by Malcolm Nunn in Low Bradfield village hall at 7.30.pm.

Saturday 8 March and Sunday 9 March 2014- Exibition of artifacts and memorabilia in Low Bradfield village hall, 10.00.am. - 4.00. pm.

Sunday 9 March 2014 - St Nicholas Church, High Bradfield - Service to include memorial prayers. Guest preacher, Bishop of Sheffield the Rt. Revd. Dr. Steven Croft.

Tuesday 11 March 2014 - Guided walk from Low Bradfield to Dale Dyke reservoir, 10.30. am. from Low Bradfield car park and returning around 12.30.pm. and recommencing at 1.30.pm to High Bradfield and church to view "flood graves and church," returning around 3.30.pm.

Wednesday 12 March 2014 - Guided walk from Malin Bridge supertram terminus to Damflask reservoir, starting at 10.30.am and finishing around 1.00.pm.

We are working in conjunction with Karen Lightowler who has kindly supplied us with her database of Flood Descendents.

email: admin@bradfield-yorks-pc.gov.uk

Telephone: 0114 285 1375

Bradfield Parish Council

http://www.bradfield-yorks-pc.gov.uk

Great Sheffield Flood - 150th Anniversary.

March 11/12 2014 marks the 150th anniversary of The Great Sheffield Flood and as a result events are being planned in the area to mark the disaster.

Monday 3 March 2014 - Illustrated talk by Malcolm Nunn in Low Bradfield village hall at 7.30.pm.

Saturday 8 March and Sunday 9 March 2014- Exibition of artifacts and memorabilia in Low Bradfield village hall, 10.00.am. - 4.00. pm.

Sunday 9 March 2014 - St Nicholas Church, High Bradfield - Service to include memorial prayers. Guest preacher, Bishop of Sheffield the Rt. Revd. Dr. Steven Croft.

Tuesday 11 March 2014 - Guided walk from Low Bradfield to Dale Dyke reservoir, 10.30. am. from Low Bradfield car park and returning around 12.30.pm. and recommencing at 1.30.pm to High Bradfield and church to view "flood graves and church," returning around 3.30.pm.

Wednesday 12 March 2014 - Guided walk from Malin Bridge supertram terminus to Damflask reservoir, starting at 10.30.am and finishing around 1.00.pm.

We are working in conjunction with Karen Lightowler who has kindly supplied us with her database of Flood Descendents.

email: admin@bradfield-yorks-pc.gov.uk

Telephone: 0114 285 1375

thanks - think i've found what I'm looking for and should know for certain by Monday whether it's available.

Hi there

For the past 12 years I have been researching the lives of the 240 people who drowned and of 60+ other people who died in the aftermath as a direct consequence of the flood. To date my revised death toll stands at 310.

Anyone wanting details of those who died or to find out if any ancestor was involved please email me at KarenL823@aol.com. I will happily send a full list of victims to anyone who emails me.

I am very interested to hear about the bible. I did know some were given out after the flood and I seem to think they had some kind of inscription in the front about the flood, is that right?

I do buy various bits of flood memorabilia to have on display on a stall at the family history fair held each October in Bradfield but it would depend on how much you want for the bible. I would be interested to know and to see a picture if possible?

As March 2014 will be the 150th anniversary of the flood several events have been planned including a 2 day exhibition in Low Bradfield on 8th and 9th March. If anyone reading this goes please make sure you come and say hello at my stall!! If you still have the bible in March perhaps you could bring it along to the exhibition??

Look forward to hearing more about the bible.

Best Regards

Karen Lightowler

there is an inscription in the front,it says,to replace the bible lost in the sheffield flood during the night of march 11th 1864,it was a gift from british and foreign bible society.the bible belonged to a sarah ann chapman has she wrote her name in it dated october 7th 1865, the bible is in excellent condition to say its been around 149yrs i dont have a price in mind but am open to offers.i bought the bible 29yrs ago myself .

Hi Scrapper

I would be willing to pay £70 but no more...are you interested?

Thanks

Karen

---------- Post added 23-01-2014 at 19:29 ----------

March 2014 marks the 150th Anniversary of the Great Sheffield Flood

Programme of Events

Monday 3rd March

Illustrated talk by Malcolm Nunn at 7:30pm at Low Bradfield Village Hall.

Thursday 6th March

The institution of Civil Engineers and the British Dam Society will be holding a free public talk at 6:30pm at Sheffield University.

Saturday 8th March and Sunday 9th March

Exhibition held in Low Bradfield Village Hall from 10am to 49m

The following groups/organisations will be in attendance at the exhibition;

Bradfield Parish Council

Bradfield Historical Society

Bradfield Brewery

Institution of Civil Engineers/British Dam Society

Sheffield Archives

Sheffield Museums Trust

Toffee Music

Great Sheffield Flood Ancestry - I am hoping lots of descendants will attend!!

Refreshments will be on sale both days

Saturday 8th March

St Nicholas' Church will be open 10am-4pm. Visitors will be able to see the flood plaque, flood graves, and church registers from 1864.

Sunday 9th March

St Nicholas’ Church High Bradfield will hold a service at 10:30am that will include memorial prayers. Guest preacher will be the Bishop of Sheffield, the Rt Revd Dr Steven Crofts. In attendance will be the Lord Mayor of Sheffield, Cllr Vickie Priestley, and the Chair of Bradfield Parish Council, Cllr Stuart Cole.

Tuesday 11th March

Guided walk at 10:30am from Low Bradfield Village car park to Dale Dyke and return around 12:30pm. The walk to re-commence at 1:30pm for High Bradfield, to view flood graves and the Church – return around 3:30pm.

Wednesday 12th March

Guided walk at 10:30am from Malin Bridge Supertram Terminus up the Loxley Valley and finishing near to Damflask Reservoir Embankment around 1pm.

Bradfield Parish Council

The Parish Council are to install a plaque which will be located on the roadside wall outside the Parish Council Offices. This plaque marks the use of the building as a temporary school following the flood. There are other plaques on the route of the flood and further information on these can be obtained at the exhibition.

Bradfield Historical Society

Has produced a commemorative tankard and plate. These will be available to purchase at the exhibition at a cost of tankard £7, plate £10 or £15 for both (post and packaging extra).

Other Events

Peak Park will be providing walks commencing from the village hall at 11am and 2pm on both days of the exhibition.

For further information contact Bradfield Parish Council.

Telephone: 0114 2851375

Email: admin@bradfield-yorks-pc.gov.uk

Council Chambers, Mill Lee Road, Low Bradfield, S6 6LB

• 5 weeks later...

TOFFEE MUSIC are recording a CD with 5 songs about the Sheffield Flood 1864 plus 5 other work songs. It will be available to buy (£5 - and all the money goes to Weston Park Hospital Cancer Charity) during the exhibition at Bradfield Village Hall, March 8th + 9th, 10am - 4pm.

You can also catch them upstairs at The Shakespeare, Gibraltar St, Monday March 10th from 8.30 - 11 pm

Archived