Engineering help needed

Hi

I'm looking for an engineering workshop, company or well equipped DIYer that would be able to tap a thread in to a piece of aluminium. The thread size (I think) is 1" x 32tpi. Does anyone know where I could get this done in Sheffield?

I personally can't help you, but is the piece already bored to size and do you have the tap or not? I notice that a 1" x 32 tpi tap is expensive.

I havent done anything with it yet but with the right tools it should be a very simple job. If you can imagine a cap that screws on to a tube with a closed end, i just need the closed end of the cap drilling through and threading so another tube can be screwed into it. Effectively acting as a coupler for an existing tube and an extension.

The aluminium is only about 5mm thick and the inside wall of the "coupler" would take the thread.

Simples........or so you'd think.

Assuming I've got the right picture and the cap is round, it could be held in the chuck of a lathe, bored then the hole turned out to size to accept the tap, which I think could be done in the lathe for accuracy. Depends of course what degree of alignment that you want.

Assuming I've got the right picture and the cap is round, it could be held in the chuck of a lathe, bored then the hole turned out to size to accept the tap, which I think could be done in the lathe for accuracy. Depends of course what degree of alignment that you want.

sounds about right but its more conical than cylindrical (tapers a bit) so I dont know how well it would sit in the chuck on the lathe.

Archived