How cheap would buses need to be for you to use them?

Perhaps if you weren't so selective in picking random statistics from the rubbish that you Google folks wouldn't think you were such a prat.

The bit you missed. What's more, 60% of the 5.5 million Brits who already do car share, say their primary reason is to save money on petrol costs.

But I suppose if you have no mates and don't go to the pub there's no reason for you to car share. I imagine anyone who has read your comments on riding bikes without brakes and swerving to avoid accidents isn't about to get into a car with you.

Do you imagine that the personal attacks mask your inability to do maths?

5.5 million is significantly less than 10% of the population, but is probably about 10% of the driving population.

Incidentally I've just driven into Sheffield and I would think at least half the cars I saw had at least 2 people in them, some 3 and the odd one with 4. One also had a mass of furniture in it. Isn't that car sharing. 4 people in one car. They still expect all of those folk to pay bus fares if they leave the motor at home a risk the bus, and I'd love to see you trying to bring a wardrobe home on the number 46.

Bank Holiday Friday afternoon. Not exactly the commuting scenario we've been talking about is it.

10% of people car share, it's there in black and white, your ridiculous anecdotes don't alter it.

---------- Post added 19-04-2014 at 12:26 ----------

He's talking cobblers as usual. If as he claims 90% of folk never drive with more than one person in the car why do so many people buy 5 seaters?

Who said never?

---------- Post added 19-04-2014 at 12:27 ----------

That's hardly relevant to a claim that only 10% of people ever share a car!!!!!!!!!! That is patently vache merde. I bet 90% of motorists travel with at least one other passenger at least once a week. I did this morning and will be doing again this evening when I go to the pub, tomorrow when I go out for lunch and again tomorrow evening when we dine with friends. In fact I would say that only about 20% of my car journeys are done alone.

Let's face it about 25% of spaces at supermarkets these days are reserved for multi occupant vehicles and about 30% of the other spaces are occupied by cars that arrived with a mod inside them.

I bolded the extra word that you're trying to put in my mouth. The one that totally changes the statement.

Do you imagine that the personal attacks mask your inability to do maths?

5.5 million is significantly less than 10% of the population, but is probably about 10% of the driving population.

Bank Holiday Friday afternoon. Not exactly the commuting scenario we've been talking about is it.

10% of people car share, it's there in black and white, your ridiculous anecdotes don't alter it.

---------- Post added 19-04-2014 at 12:26 ----------

Who said never?

---------- Post added 19-04-2014 at 12:27 ----------

I bolded the extra word that you're trying to put in my mouth. The one that totally changes the statement.

But the figures you are trying to pedal are utter tripe in the first place.

The figure quoted is 5.5 million people who car share. The working population of the UK is only 29 million and not all of those commute.

Then there are only 37 million motorists in the UK, and not all of those work. So if you discounts students, the unemployed, the retired the number of working folk who have a car must be well under 20 million.

Then we are told that 25% of working people commute by public transport and others by bike. So the number of folk who commute to work by car is probably between 15 and 18 million. If as your link suggests 5.5 million of them are car sharing that is a great deal higher than the 10-11% that you are trying to pedal here.

The figure quoted is 5.5 million people who car share. The working population of the UK is only 29 million and not all of those commute.

Then there are only 37 million motorists in the UK, and not all of those work. So if you discounts students, the unemployed, the retired the number of working folk who have a car must be well under 20 million.

Then we are told that 25% of working people commute by public transport and others by bike. So the number of folk who commute to work by car is probably between 15 and 18 million. If as your link suggests 5.5 million of them are car sharing that is a great deal higher than the 10-11% that you are trying to pedal here.

Read paragraph 3 of the report which details the percentage of those 5.5 million who share for work.

Feel free to provide some alternative evidence then.

It's not like I've asked the AA to make up some tripe in order to back up my point.

Perhaps you'd like to contact them and ask how they worked out the figures they published?

I have no angle or axe to grind, 10% is the figure from the AA, as is 5.5 million. I'd suggest you take it up with them.

You could also try using your eyes the next time you're amongst commuter traffic, count 10 cars and see how many are multi occupancy.

Feel free to provide some alternative evidence then.

It's not like I've asked the AA to make up some tripe in order to back up my point.

Perhaps you'd like to contact them and ask how they worked out the figures they published?

I have no angle or axe to grind, 10% is the figure from the AA, as is 5.5 million. I'd suggest you take it up with them.

You could also try using your eyes the next time you're amongst commuter traffic, count 10 cars and see how many are multi occupancy.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1298431

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Why would anyone need to, most people would simply dismiss the figures because they are so obviously incorrect. 55 million people don't commute to work because there aren't 55 million people that work. If 5.5 million people car share whilst commuting to work then its about 20% of workers that car share, that doesn't mean the other 80% drive alone because only 70% of workers use a car to get to work, the rest walk, cycle or use a public transport.

In answer to the OP. If your employer did what mine did, supply limited parking spaces, which often means you have to turn up to work an hour early to get a parking space, and then charge you over £7 a day to use that space, many people would use the bus instead.

In answer to the OP. If your employer did what mine did, supply limited parking spaces, which often means you have to turn up to work an hour early to get a parking space, and then charge you over £7 a day to use that space, many people would use the bus instead.

Or change jobs.

Archived