How cheap would buses need to be for you to use them?

I don't think that I'd consider cycling to work if I couldn't shower before starting work.

I agree with you. I just don't know to many work places where they provide showers, and if the idea of cycling is to save 5 minutes on the journey taking a 15 minute shower break probably defeats the object. I could also see how walking around all day smelling of BO could adversely effect your chances of promotion.

I agree with you. I just don't know to many work places where they provide showers, and if the idea of cycling is to save 5 minutes on the journey taking a 15 minute shower break probably defeats the object. I could also see how walking around all day smelling of BO could adversely effect your chances of promotion.

But then I'd assume that you'd shower at home before setting off to work. If you cycle then you have that shower at work, so it's not costing any time.

I don't think that I'd consider cycling to work if I couldn't shower before starting work.

I change shirt and use deodorant, it's not so difficult a cycle that I need a shower.

I do shower at work if I go out for a lunchtime run.

---------- Post added 22-04-2014 at 07:23 ----------

I did the math for you and the figures you quoted are clearly wrong.

Did you not read what you were quoting?

"Okay, if they're obviously incorrect then someone provide some actual evidence that makes more sense."

Or did you just fail to understand it?

---------- Post added 22-04-2014 at 07:24 ----------

15 minutes. That's one super slow shower.

---------- Post added 22-04-2014 at 07:25 ----------

Ah well, given the weather and the need to bring my laptop home I'll be a single occupant of a car today. Perhaps I should video my commute so you can see all the other single occupant commuters.

And that of course is the nub of the problem. Once you have made the decision that there are journeys where you need a car and paid for the road tax, insurance etc you may as well use the thing for the other journeys too. Why would you want a car that you left in the garage?

The only reason to leave your car at home is if it's much cheaper & almost as (or more) convenient to use public transport for a few odd journeys.

Example, it's 50p each way on the bus, or at least £1 an hour in parking to go to town for your shopping trip/work/evening out. Say you want to spend more than an hour out & this 50p bus leaves from near your house every 10 minutes & takes you to town.

If that was the case more people would take the bus & leave the car at home when they don't need to use it, it'd be cheaper than taking the car out. They'd still have the car for journeys that are harder or impossible to do on public transport & they wouldn't be priced off buses for journeys where they are useful.

If it costs £4.50 on the bus, parking is less, fuel + wear & tear is minimal, taking the car is faster, cheaper (or about the same price) & no smelly people sit next to you.

Did you not read what you were quoting?

"Okay, if they're obviously incorrect then someone provide some actual evidence that makes more sense."

Or did you just fail to understand it?

Yep I read it and understood it and then pointed out that the evidence is the fact the figures are so obviously wrong, it doesn't need a link, it doesn't need an expert, all that is required is some very basic math skills.

So you aren't going to try to provide any other evidence then?

I did a count on the way to work, it's anecdotal of course, I saw 3 multi occupant cars, compared to about 50 (I lost count, there were so many) single occupants.

Vans on the other hand seem to be much more likely to be multi occupant, something like 8 out of 10 had two or more people in the cab.

So you aren't going to try to provide any other evidence then?

I did a count on the way to work, it's anecdotal of course, I saw 3 multi occupant cars, compared to about 50 (I lost count, there were so many) single occupants.

Vans on the other hand seem to be much more likely to be multi occupant, something like 8 out of 10 had two or more people in the cab.

The evidence are the figure you quoted which can't possibly be correct, either one or both of the figures you quoted are wrong, they can't both be right.

The evidence are the figure you quoted which can't possibly be correct, either one or both of the figures you quoted are wrong, they can't both be right.

I wouldn't worry about it. Even his own survey proved him wrong,

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1298431

but some folk can never ever admit they are wrong. It was said long ago on this forum that cyclone would rather peel a turd than admit he was wrong. That statement has been proved correct times many. This is just the latest example. He will be posting on here long after you have lost the will to live.

Archived