How cheap would buses need to be for you to use them?

I wouldn't worry about it. Even his own survey proved him wrong,

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1298431

but some folk can never ever admit they are wrong. It was said long ago on this forum that cyclone would rather peel a turd than admit he was wrong. That statement has been proved correct times many. This is just the latest example. He will be posting on here long after you have lost the will to live.

:hihi::hihi: Thanks for the heads up.

I always use the bus as I can't drive. So I guess this topic isn't really for me.

What I will say though, is that those cards would be VERY useful. Buying a weekly or monthly ticket online and adding it to the card, instead of messing about in the morning.

Might also stop those morons using £10 to pay a £1.90 fair (like this morning, sheesh!)

The evidence are the figure you quoted which can't possibly be correct, either one or both of the figures you quoted are wrong, they can't both be right.

The Department of Transport report says average car occupancy is 65 vehicles per 100 people. That is 40 cars carrying 40 people plus 25 cars carrying 60 people.

So at any one time 38% of cars are multi-occupancy.

This isn't the same as the number of folks who share cars as many of those who are alone on one journey will have passengers on another. So we know from the ONS figures that a minimum of 38% of folks car share and quite obviously the actual figures are much higher.

Department for Transport statistics

National Travel Survey

Table NTS0905

Car occupancy: Great Britain, 2002 to 2012

Number/percentage/thousands

Vehicle occupancy (car/van)

Year Average occupancy Single occupancy rate Unweighted sample size (car/van driver stages '000s)

2002r 1.59 61 137

2003r 1.58 61 151

2004r 1.57 61 148

2005r 1.58 61 157

2006r 1.58 60 153

2007r 1.56 61 147

2008r 1.59 60 141

2009r 1.58 61 144

2010r 1.56 61 141

2011r 1.56 61 132

2012 1.56 61 142

Status of people in car/van

Year Driver alone Driver with passenger(s) Passenger Total Unweighted sample size (all car/van stages '000s)

2002r 39 25 36 100 213

2003r 39 25 35 100 236

2004r 39 25 35 100 233

2005r 39 25 35 100 245

2006r 39 26 35 100 236

2007r 40 25 35 100 229

2008r 38 26 36 100 221

2009r 39 25 36 100 227

2010r 40 25 35 100 218

2011r 40 25 35 100 203

2012 40 25 35 100 219

Telephone: 020 7944 3097 Source: National Travel Survey

Email: national.travelsurvey@dft.gsi.gov.uk Last updated: 30 July 2013

Notes & definitions (including information about revisions) Next update: July 2014

The figures in this table are National Statistics

Note: The results presented in this table are weighted. The base (unweighted sample size) is shown in the table for information. Weights are applied to adjust for non-response to ensure the characteristics of the achieved sample match the population of Great Britain and for the drop off in trip recording. The survey results are subject to sampling error.

Excellent, and we can work out for ourselves that the number of dual occupancy (or more) vehicles is lower in commuter traffic and higher at the weekend and evenings.

I can't even remember why we cared though.

---------- Post added 23-04-2014 at 09:20 ----------

Car sharing isn't popular because it's a pain having to work to someone elses schedule.

I can't see 4 adults managing to car share all the time, everywhere. Not even if it weren't always the same 4 adults. (Not that it makes any sense if it isn't, what cost are you then comparing it to?)

Ah, this was why. 4 adults car sharing.

Not that common then (based on those figures).

---------- Post added 23-04-2014 at 09:33 ----------

Next table in fact NTS0906

Commuting 1.2 86

That's 86% of commuter vehicles are single occupancy.

More tables and info available here;

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/nts09-vehicle-mileage-and-occupancy#table-nts0905

---------- Post added 23-04-2014 at 09:36 ----------

Most couples? Come on. You don't believe that "most couples that work" happen to work in the same place, or close enough to take a single car?

I can't name a single couple from all my friends where this would be possible.

I think the figures support what I was trying to say here. Most couples don't car share.

In fact, when talking about commuting, most people don't car share.

---------- Post added 23-04-2014 at 09:37 ----------

I wouldn't bother with your report on traffic observations. You have already made it up without setting foot outside your office. That's the thing about people like you who can never be wrong. Their posts become oh so predictable.

Are you going to apologise? I suspect not, because people like you don't.

Excellent, and we can work out for ourselves that the number of dual occupancy (or more) vehicles is lower in commuter traffic and higher at the weekend and evenings.

I can't even remember why we cared though.

---------- Post added 23-04-2014 at 09:20 ----------

Ah, this was why. 4 adults car sharing.

Not that common then (based on those figures).

---------- Post added 23-04-2014 at 09:33 ----------

Next table in fact NTS0906

Commuting 1.2 86

That's 86% of commuter vehicles are single occupancy.

More tables and info available here;

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistical-data-sets/nts09-vehicle-mileage-and-occupancy#table-nts0905

---------- Post added 23-04-2014 at 09:36 ----------

I think the figures support what I was trying to say here. Most couples don't car share.

In fact, when talking about commuting, most people don't car share.

---------- Post added 23-04-2014 at 09:37 ----------

Are you going to apologise? I suspect not, because people like you don't.

So not 10% at all. Then replying to your own posts as though that actually proves anything. You do make yourself look pathetic at times. I'm sorry that should read all of the time. :hihi::hihi:

Although my home has a Sheffield postcode, we live 'on the border' of N E Derbyshire.

My gripe is that we have one bus in to Sheffield every two hours at an extortionate fare to boot.

This 'service' ceases at 6pm- since I work in the Sheffield City Centre I have to break my neck to get home before the bus 'curfew'

My distress increases when I see four '120' buses in a row carrying a combined total of twelve passengers.

So not 10% at all. Then replying to your own posts as though that actually proves anything. You do make yourself look pathetic at times. I'm sorry that should read all of the time. :hihi::hihi:

A lot closer than your estimate, which seemed to be everyone in your village pub.

The ad hominem attack makes you look like a child, but that's up to you. You don't prove a point by insulting someone, despite what you might think. I was right about the apology though wasn't I, instead you'll just keep casting insults, are you sure you're at uni and not actually still 8 years old?

A lot closer than your estimate, which seemed to be everyone in your village pub.

The ad hominem attack makes you look like a child, but that's up to you. You don't prove a point by insulting someone, despite what you might think. I was right about the apology though wasn't I, instead you'll just keep casting insults, are you sure you're at uni and not actually still 8 years old?

You see there you go again. I mentioned SEVERAL people from our village who car share. I can't help it if the concept of someone with a rather larger circle of friends and acquaintances than you is beyond your understanding.

Regarding the Government survey. It indicates that at any time for every 100 commuters on our roads 60% of them are in multi-occupancy vehicles. That isn't just to say that 60% of people car share. There will obviously be many traveling alone who at other times travel in a shared car.

Yes you were right about the apology. That's because I'm not about to apologise to someone who was wrong all along.

Perhaps if you want to back up your claims you should try something a bit more convincing than replying to your own posts. How about doing a poll of forum members to see how many of them car share? Then when you are old enough to drive you could perhaps make friends with someone and car share yourself.

You see there you go again. I mentioned SEVERAL people from our village who car share. I can't help it if the concept of someone with a rather larger circle of friends and acquaintances than you is beyond your understanding.

:loopy:

Regarding the Government survey. It indicates that at any time for every 100 commuters on our roads 60% of them are in multi-occupancy vehicles.

No, try again.

That isn't just to say that 60% of people car share. There will obviously be many traveling alone who at other times travel in a shared car.

Indeed.

Yes you were right about the apology. That's because I'm not about to apologise to someone who was wrong all along.

I was right. You've been wrong the whole time and the numbers now prove it.

Perhaps if you want to back up your claims you should try something a bit more convincing than replying to your own posts. How about doing a poll of forum members to see how many of them car share? Then when you are old enough to drive you could perhaps make friends with someone and car share yourself.

Perhaps you could make an argument instead of just being insulting? If you can manage it.

Archived