How cheap would buses need to be for you to use them?

Why not? Doesn't have to always be the same 4 does it?

Car sharing isn't popular because it's a pain having to work to someone elses schedule.

I can't see 4 adults managing to car share all the time, everywhere. Not even if it weren't always the same 4 adults. (Not that it makes any sense if it isn't, what cost are you then comparing it to?)

Surely people have better things to do then wait for a bus, stopping every few minutes at bus stop and have to walk to destination. i park my car on my drive and a private parking space outside work, no amount of saving would i consider usung the loser cruiser

It isn't cheap but only about 15% of households don't have a car so most people can still apparently afford to have one.

I agree though that the public transport network isn't good. I'm surprised though that more people don't cycle instead of driving when public transport is slow. There was a huge increase in cylcing in London when the congestion charge was introduced. Why are there so few cyclists in Sheffield?

Sheffield unlike London has 7 hills and not little ones either.

I am somewhat surprised you had not noticed that small detail and factored it into your decision to ask that question.

Or better still ....before you asked that question.

Sheffield unlike London has 7 hills and not little ones either.

I am somewhat surprised you had not noticed that small detail and factored it into your decision to ask that question.

Or better still ....before you asked that question.

I used to cycle s real thousand miles a year in Sheffield do I have noticed there are hills. Thing is bikes have gears nowadays and they make it a lot easier... Slip it into the granny gear (that doesn't sound right does it?) and there is no hill in Sheffield that would trouble a reasonable fit person.

Perhaps over reliance on the car is not only clogging up our roads but our arteries? No wonder we are turning into a nation of lard arses if we think we need a car to get us over a hill.

Why don't people use motorbikes more? At commuter times the majority of car users sit on their own. Think how much congestion would drop if half of them used a motorbike? Just as quick, (mostly) more economical.

If I worked in Sheffield I would get a moped for my commute to work (provided of course it wasn't walkable). Don't like riding bikes, it bruises my nads.

jb

Car sharing isn't popular because it's a pain having to work to someone elses schedule.

I can't see 4 adults managing to car share all the time, everywhere. Not even if it weren't always the same 4 adults. (Not that it makes any sense if it isn't, what cost are you then comparing it to?)

Car sharing is impractical for many reasons. Buses aren't great either but perhaps one-on-one and let's face it and most cars on the road only have one person in them, it's cheaper to catch the bus. The biggest disavantage with buses is that you're dependant on someone else.

Car sharing is impractical for many reasons. Buses aren't great either but perhaps one-on-one and let's face it and most cars on the road only have one person in them, it's cheaper to catch the bus. The biggest disavantage with buses is that you're dependant on someone else.

Why is car sharing impractical. It is buses that are impractical. On Saturday night we went out and met a load of friends at a Derbyshire pub. A dozen folk turned up in 3 cars. We were wearing our bling and had a great meal. 3 drivers who picked up folk on route to the pub. Afterwards we all got in the cars and went back to my house for coffee and drinks. In the early hours folk drifted off home to various places around Sheffield, Holmesfield and Hathersage.

How practical would that have been on buses?

Missus works town end of gleadless and a 10 min car trip turned into a 80 min travel on 2 bus's yesterday after work, im sorry but the bus service is rubbish, sypte, try thinking out of the box and stop sending every bus into and out of town, people dont always want that!!

Archived