Gastroscopy anyone had one?

Had a couple done - no real drama and never needed or wanted a sedative, but had 3 five hour biopsies done in the past so wasn't really fussed about it.

It's easy to say that I know but really it is not a big deal at all, although I appreciate it probably does seem it if you have never had one done before. If you want a sedative, there is no shame in asking for one, just make sure you have someone drive you there so they can drive you back afterwards as you wont be able to drive, or make your own way home. When I had my biopsies done, which admittedly takes longer my biggest concern was boredom - for the first one the nurse brought me a newspaper to read and I brought in an audiobook and headphones for the latter ones.

If you are nervous or worried or whatever though TELL the medical staff. They are not mindreaders - the ones I had were businesslike and professional but that's maybe not what you want - if you tell them you are feeling a little overwhelmed by it just let them know and they will accomodate you I'm sure.

I had my first one in 1980 when I had a duodenal ulcer. It was old technology then and it was very uncomfortable, felt like swallowing a hose pipe. I had another one a few years ago just to check everything was OK and the new fibre optic cameras are so much smaller. It was not at all unpleasant and I was able to look at the monitor screen to see what my insides looked like. No discomfort whatsoever, you'll be fine!

This is one test I always flat out vowed I would never ever agree to, having observed some a number of years ago and finding it quite distressing. At the end of last year I was very poorly and pretty much told I had no other option if I wanted treatment.

I had always considered the sedative was a tool for the doctor rather than the patient - makes the patients compliant, makes them forget afterwards and makes the doctors job a lot easier. However I can hand on heart say that the entire process changed my mind completely, to the point where I'd willingly do it again if I did need to. I can still remember parts of it now, but most of all remember being wheeled out able to recall the whole thing and didn't feel in the slightest bit distressed by it.

I had a reasonable amount of sedation, plus the anaesthetic throat spray but I was out of the hospital within 20 minutes of it finishing. Nausea isn't a side effect of midazolam, and regardless, you can't vomit because you're nil by mouth for at least 6 hours beforehand. The only minor problems I had were some sort of allergic reaction to the latex oxygen sponge they put up my nose (very itchy, lots of sneezing) and a very sore chest where they'd taken biopsies.

There is no one more nervous than me, I had sleepless nights for a month before I went for mine and even thought of not going with all the horror stories I had been told. I didn't have sedation and afterwards wondered what all the fuss was about, I just did what they asked me to do and didn't have a problem all over in a few minuets and straight home the staff were great. Good luck and dont worry, all over in no time.

There are several videos of the procedure on Youtube if you want to see what it's like.

Think that might scare me even more ha

---------- Post added 16-04-2014 at 13:50 ----------

There is no one more nervous than me, I had sleepless nights for a month before I went for mine and even thought of not going with all the horror stories I had been told. I didn't have sedation and afterwards wondered what all the fuss was about, I just did what they asked me to do and didn't have a problem all over in a few minuets and straight home the staff were great. Good luck and dont worry, all over in no time.

Im just like you cant sleep because of it i suffer with anxiety anyways but its gone through the roof now :(. Ive been told a few horror stories and a few that said they didnt even remember it my mums had it done and said she didnt remember it but i shall be the judge of that one i guess. I will defo be having the sedation though.

---------- Post added 16-04-2014 at 13:52 ----------

This is one test I always flat out vowed I would never ever agree to, having observed some a number of years ago and finding it quite distressing. At the end of last year I was very poorly and pretty much told I had no other option if I wanted treatment.

I had always considered the sedative was a tool for the doctor rather than the patient - makes the patients compliant, makes them forget afterwards and makes the doctors job a lot easier. However I can hand on heart say that the entire process changed my mind completely, to the point where I'd willingly do it again if I did need to. I can still remember parts of it now, but most of all remember being wheeled out able to recall the whole thing and didn't feel in the slightest bit distressed by it.

I had a reasonable amount of sedation, plus the anaesthetic throat spray but I was out of the hospital within 20 minutes of it finishing. Nausea isn't a side effect of midazolam, and regardless, you can't vomit because you're nil by mouth for at least 6 hours beforehand. The only minor problems I had were some sort of allergic reaction to the latex oxygen sponge they put up my nose (very itchy, lots of sneezing) and a very sore chest where they'd taken biopsies.

You say makes them forget afterwards do you remember it happening at the time though? yeh im nil by mouth from 11.15 am ive got to be there for 5pm so im guessing they will do it around 6pm. But on the letter it says i can have water till 3.15. How long did the sore chest last for?

[quote=Twiglet;10439511

I had always considered the sedative was a tool for the doctor rather than the patient - makes the patients compliant, makes them forget afterwards and makes the doctors job a lot easier. However I can hand on heart say that the entire process changed my mind completely, to the point where I'd willingly do it again if I did need to. I can still remember parts of it now, but most of all remember being wheeled out able to recall the whole thing and didn't feel in the slightest bit distressed by it..

Never had it for a biopsy, etc but I had a sedative for my wisdom teeth which were encased in bone and needed some fairly serious tooling to get them out.

Had the sedative and at that point although I remember more or less everything I really couldn't have given a monkeys as to what they did and felt as happy as anything. Would strongly suggest it if it's offered and you are worried at all.

Interesting concept of perception. How could you ever know if you 'remember it happening at the time'?

Yes because they said afterwards they didnt say during or at the time...i meant could they feeling or remember anything whilst it was being done or was it only after that they forgot

Interesting concept of perception. How could you ever know if you 'remember it happening at the time'?

What I do remember is being wheeled to recovery, and being surprised that I could remember the whole procedure, when I'd been told I'd have no memory of it. The memory of the procedure itself isn't instantaneously wiped out, it fades over hours, it is a very strange concept and I wouldn't understand it had I not been through it. I do still remember parts of the procedure, and not everybody who has this sedative does experience the amnesia (the sedation doesn't render you unconscious, you're still awake and able to comply with instruction etc.).

Sunblock, as I mentioned, the memory fades over time but this really doesn't matter. I was completely reassured by the fact that I could remember it and felt completely comfortable with what had happened. Despite having been absolutely terrified, I had no distress at all with the procedure itself and how it was carried out. Most importantly, it really does only take 2-3 minutes. Do make sure you tell them you're very anxious. I'm sure it will go well :)

Archived