Gastroscopy anyone had one?

Having assisted with the administration of many gastroscopies and having had one myself, I would recommend sedation every time. It is not "ever so slightly uncomfortable" for most people. It is not pleasant for most, and although you can leave straight away if you don`t have any sedation, it`s worth the extra time spent in the unit recovering. The sedation gives you retrograde amnesia, so you don`t remember much about it. So I would wholeheartedly recommend sedation every time.

I've had six, Knocked out every time, You wont feel a thing or remember anything!

Nothing to fret over. :)

The bloke in the bed next to me had the "Other" Camera, And I joked with the nurse about sharing it, And next time could I go first ;)

I think i will defo opt for the sedation but does the sedation make you feel sick? i have no rush to be home and i will be stopping with my mum and dad that night so thats fine. Its not being done till tea time which i think is even worst because i have to wait all day worrying about it.

Dont worry about it, its not that bad if you get the sedation. The sedation that tends to get used is Midazolam, sickness is not a side effect. Give it a Google and find out

My opinion was "Call that a sedative??", but I think it made it easier.

Dont worry about it, its not that bad if you get the sedation. The sedation that tends to get used is Midazolam, sickness is not a side effect. Give it a Google and find out

I hope not coz most things make me feel sick erugh

---------- Post added 15-04-2014 at 11:47 ----------

I had one last year including 3 biopsies, no sedative and I was suprised how easy it was, I could drive myself home and not even a sore throat after.

I have to have biosys and a urease test and dye spray or something as well. I hope the sedative works i have a big fear of anything going down there tube wise after i was tube fed a couple of years ago and i can say that was the most awful thing ever i was pinned down for that as well within an hour i was sick because they put the food in that fast that the tube ended up coming out needles to say i didnt have another one in think thats why im most scared

I go for without sedative.it is ever so slightly uncomfortable but you are able to leave straight after.

Having assisted with the administration of many gastroscopies and having had one myself, I would recommend sedation every time. It is not "ever so slightly uncomfortable" for most people. It is not pleasant for most, and although you can leave straight away if you don`t have any sedation, it`s worth the extra time spent in the unit recovering. The sedation gives you retrograde amnesia, so you don`t remember much about it. So I would wholeheartedly recommend sedation every time.

So how on earth can you comment on the uncomfortableness factor if you only had the one and had the sedative administered.

I have had cameras in every place there is to have cameras and I have always been treated with the upmost of courtesy and professionalism.

Never once have I been made to feel uncomfortable.

Archived