Gastroscopy anyone had one?

When I had a colonoscopy, I was given Picolax. You mix it with water and drink it over 2 hours if I remember rightly. It tastes foul but if you put some strong cordial in it, that helps. I put Vimto in mine, it did help a little. Don`t stray far from the loo. Have some moist toilet wipes handy, and some vaseline, because your anus gets pretty sore. (sorry to be so graphic) Be prepared for a rough night, because every time you turn over in bed, you have to go to the loo again. It`s not nice, but the colonoscopy is worth it to reach a diagnosis and get some treatment started

Next is capsule endoscopy but that only apparently looks at the small bowel so I will maybe have to have a colonscopy last if I consent to it.

---------- Post added 24-04-2014 at 21:09 ----------

I asked if I could have an enema and he said it wouldn't clean it out enough would only do it to a certain point :/

o'k. Well it's a pity about the enema not being able to be used in your case.

As I say let us know how you go on.

Glad the gastroscopy is over and done with for you, but I wondered about your comment regarding colonoscopy, have you been offered capsule endoscopy as an alternative to colonoscopy, I am interested as I could not face having another colonoscopy but I am due to have one in september but found colon and subsequent sigmoid oscopies too painful, I had barium enema last time instead but need check on polyps, is capsule endoscopy used as an alternative now, it is 3 years since my last check up so any up to date info would be useful, thanks

Capsule endoscopies involve swallowing a capsule containing a camera which transmits pictures of its journey through your digestive tract for about 8 hours. The capsule can hang around inside you for a few days afterwards because it needs some pressure built up behind it, i.e. you to eat and digest some food, for it to come out and that material would spoil any pictures. For that reason, and the battery in the capsule doesn't last that long, it can't be used for the lower part of the bowel.

I was offered the capsule camera to look at the part of my digestive system that couldn't be reached by gastroscopy and colonoscopy. They had already looked at this with X-rays (CAT scan) and hadn't found anything wrong.

I got the impression it was a waste of time and elected not to have it.

You can have a colon capsule as well as a small bowel capsule. It's done in Gastroenterology in the Clinical Investigations Unit, RHH. Some people opt for that instead of a colonoscopy.

Im not sure if they do it private im being seen at thornbury because we have bupa and i wasnt offered an appointment till the end of july and and i cant wait that long to find out what wrong :(

• 2 weeks later...

Okay results gastroscopy was normal so defo not got ceoliac next i either have a capsule colon or colonscopy plus and capsule endoscopy im being booked in to have tester with one that dissolves first to 1 check I can swallow it and 2 check it isnt going to get stuck. Then shall decide which im having and you have to have the super strong laxative for both which is what i think im more scared of as ive heard it brutal

Archived