Brand loyalty and you?

Pretty much this, but substitute Hellmann's mayo for the cornflakes.

I can't really imagine buying a vacuum cleaner that isn't Miele though. And out of the 5 mobile phones I've ever owned, 4 have been Nokias.

All my mobile phones have been "hand me downs" from my daughters.:)

@Alcoblog I know you like your marmite, to be fair, it doesn't have competition does it?

Well ... the UK military catering corps tried to copy it for trench-warfare sandwiches in the 1880's, but alas, instead of 'Marmite', came up with 'cordite' instead.

As nitro-cellulose tastes even worse than Bovril, they tried burning the evidence only to discover it had certain other properties pertaining totally to the non-gastronomic variety ... ladies and gentlemen, the rifle cartridge!

The invention of course eclipsed the other and is now history ... indeed Marmite now sells worldwide apart from the nancy boys in New Zealand and Canada (to name but two). Then again, they've banned Irn-bru too (just in case Mr.Glasgowoods is listening).

I've had a jazz as a courtesy car before and can't say it ticked the boxes for me but it's an entirely different car to the civic type-R so can't really compare, however you can't go wrong with them when it comes to reliability and engineering.

I thought about a new Civic (based on the Honda reliability) but was deterred by that view obstruction on the rear screen which is a shame really. I see it is still on the 2015 model so can`t be affecting sales too much.

I thought about a new Civic (based on the Honda reliability) but was deterred by that view obstruction on the rear screen which is a shame really. I see it is still on the 2015 model so can`t be affecting sales too much.

I wouldn't worry too much about that, it has a rearview camera :D

Not sure why you think Honda would discontinue the type r models. :huh:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/honda/civic/85978/honda-civic-type-r-2015-price-release-date-and-specs

What I meant was there is a break in the availability of them. They have ceases manufacturing the model I have now and we don't keep cars for longer than 3 years but the new model is not yet available and won't be for a while yet, so I will need to look elsewhere for a car of similar calibre when I would have much preferred to be able to transfer straight to the new model as we've always done before.

I've become more savvy when shopping- I don't think there is a need to buy a branded product when an own label /foreign brand can do the same job.

I think it is common sense to save £ where you can as food is getting expensive and although I don't go out of my way to shop at a discounter, I would stop at one if passing and needed to top up on something.

Our main shopping is at Asda and I am always looking for promotions where applicable or good deals on own label.

Some interesting points, thanks for your replies so far, keep them coming.

I reckon I have become less brand loyal in supermarkets, like you say Mr Fisk, stuff is expensive enough!

@Alcoblog - cordite you say, gotta try that one day!

I'm not particularly brand-loyal about specific brands (though historical car ownership records show a marked preference for Subaru) but when buying *something* I always actively avoid branding-for-the-sake-of-it, badged-generics and low-end (e.g. Alba for electronics).

Meaning, if I'm buying a watch, it's going to be Seiko, or Breitling, or <etc. - a time-served watch manufacturer> , not Tommy Hilfiger or <insert clothing/trendy/<etc.> brand applied to generic product>.

And if I'm buying audio gear, it's going to be Marantz, Pioneer, KEF <etc.>, not Ministry of Sound, Alba <etc.>

I will do without and save until I can afford <X> in the meantime, because buying cheap is buying twice. Still to this day. ;)

Archived