Hat Shops in Sheffield

myself and two other milliners will be launching a dedicated hat shop in the Winter Gardens next month as a two week pop-up shop and we are really interested to hear from people about their memories and experiences of the old hat shops of sheffield.

part of our extended research for the project has been to look at when the last hat shops were advertising in the trade directories (until 1974) and in the yellow pages from that point up to 2001...when online advertising make the yellow pages shrink!

there are 3 shops that have stood out as those that have endured the test of time during this period, but aside from the odd picture on Picture Sheffield, we're struggling to find out much about them :(

can anybody tell us anything about these three establishments?

Madame Maries- Division St (seems to have moved between a number of units on the street)

D Swift- 87 Middlewood Road

Anne- 207 Whitham Road

thanks so much for reading and i hope someone remembers them!

x

I remember Anne's on Whitham Road, I walked past it to and from Broomhill School. It was a typical shop front with a set back door, the window and door had dense net curtains and there was only ever one hat on display! This was the days when affluent ladies shopped at Truelove's gown shop across the road and purchased their lingerie from the corset shop a few doors down.

It was a typical shop front with a set back door, the window and door had dense net curtains and there was only ever one hat on display!

just the one? was it always the same one? :hihi:

did anne actually sell hats or was she an outfitters?

im interested because it was advertised under milliner and millinery shop which would suggest a more hatty than clothes slant. curious.

thank you so much for replying :)

x

It did change but rarely, Mum said that she made her own hats and it always said Milliner on the shop sign.

super, thank you so much.

its been so hard to find out anything about the lady behind the name or the shop itself and you have been a huge help. :)

x

Hi sophiec1979 - there is an old thread - see here - on the Sheffield History forum about Doreen Swift's shop in Middlewood Road..:)

thanks hillsbro, i chanced across that yesterday and am waiting for my permissions so i can post to the site :) i didnt know what the d stood for but once i had doreen i did another google search and that was the first thing that popped up...love the photo!

Hi,Sophie sorry i forgot to mention the site which hillsbro put up for you to view my comment on it is the Beemerboy one.Regards Mel.

bullerboy...are you the same mel i was talking to on FB yesterday! if so, 'tis a small world and thank you for your help there! :)

thanks again to both of you :D

x

thanks hillsbro, i chanced across that yesterday and am waiting for my permissions so i can post to the site :) i didnt know what the d stood for but once i had doreen i did another google search and that was the first thing that popped up...love the photo!

bullerboy...are you the same mel i was talking to on FB yesterday! if so, 'tis a small world and thank you for your help there! :)

thanks again to both of you :D

x

Yes i am the same one theres only one of me ehehe

I remember 'Anne', next to The Yorkshire Penny Bank in Broomhill. I can only remember going in once, I must have been about 6 so I guess it was around 1954. I can remember Mum trying on a hat and having a huge hat pin pushed through it into her head, or so I thought, it made me cry.

In 1969 I was in the Royal Hospital on West Street and the porter was 'Anne's' husband, he reminded me of the inspector from 'On the busses'.

Next to the hat shop was 'The Fabric Shop' run by Mrs. Slinn. Next to that was the open fronted wet fish shop of P.G.Hart, followed by Mrs. Richardson's corset and ladies underwear shop. The bread shop of W.A. Broom came next followed by 'Gallons the Grocers' which was managed by a Mr. and Mrs. Dugglesby who lived on Crookesmoor Road. The next shop, on the corner of Newbould Lane, was 'Boot's the Chemist'.