Advice please regarding garage

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you could offer me any advice please because I`m not too sure on how to take this further...

Yesterday my husband took our car into a local garage, one we haven't used before to replace a spotlight bulb. The man at the garage did replace the bulb for him but when my husband was on his way home, the bonnet flew up! they didn't close the bonnet correctly! My husband slammed on the brakes and luckily he wasn't injured and neither was anyone else.

It has done damage to the car, the hinges of the bonnet are bent and quite a bit of paint work has been taken off! it looks a mess!

My husband took the car back straight away and told them what they had done but they just shrugged and basically said "what do you want us to do about it"

My husband soon realised that he was flogging a dead horse and left in a not so happy manner.

I was at Manchester on a shoot at the time so I couldn't do anything about it but on my return and seeing the mess of my car, I`m fuming!

Is there anything I can do to take this matter further?

Oh and one more thing...he didn't get a receipt :mad:

Many thanks in advance.

Hi,

I was wondering if any of you could offer me any advice please because I`m not too sure on how to take this further...

Yesterday my husband took our car into a local garage, one we haven't used before to replace a spotlight bulb. The man at the garage did replace the bulb for him but when my husband was on his way home, the bonnet flew up! they didn't close the bonnet correctly! My husband slammed on the brakes and luckily he wasn't injured and neither was anyone else.

It has done damage to the car, the hinges of the bonnet are bent and quite a bit of paint work has been taken off! it looks a mess!

My husband took the car back straight away and told them what they had done but they just shrugged and basically said "what do you want us to do about it"

My husband soon realised that he was flogging a dead horse and left in a not so happy manner.

I was at Manchester on a shoot at the time so I couldn't do anything about it but on my return and seeing the mess of my car, I`m fuming!

Is there anything I can do to take this matter further?

Oh and one more thing...he didn't get a receipt :mad:

Many thanks in advance.

Its your husbands duty to make sure the car is in a safe condition to drive. He should have checked so the fault lies squarely with him.

I wouldnt tell the insurance company as your premiums may go up after a claim.

Its your husbands duty to make sure the car is in a safe condition to drive. He should have checked so the fault lies squarely with him.

I wouldnt tell the insurance company as your premiums may go up after a claim.

Really? so if he has a tyre replaced and it falls off because the tyre wasn't fitted correctly, it would be my husband`s fault because he didn't check the tyre they had fitted upon leaving the garage?

That doesn't seem right to me :huh:

Really? so if he has a tyre replaced and it falls off because the tyre wasn't fitted correctly, it would be my husband`s fault because he didn't check the tyre they had fitted upon leaving the garage?

That doesn't seem right to me :huh:

As far as i know shes right. As the driver its his responsibility to make sure the car is in a safe condition to drive. It may be different seeing as hes had work done at a garage but as far as i know its sadly down to your hubby.

I ALWAYS check my car over before leaving the garage (only goes in for brakes & MOT, I do everything else myself).

An unlatched bonnet is fairly easy to spot (has been on every car I've had)

At best I'd say this was a 50/50 shout. Yes the garage should have closed the bonnet correctly however your husband should have made sure it was safe to drive the vehicle.

An unlatched bonnet would be difficult to see on my car unless it was totally unlatched. It has like a two latch thing where as you can press it down and it will click but wont be fully locked until you hear a second click so i do have sympathy for the ops hubby. Id agree with Claire on the insurance also. Get a few quotes first before contacting them and if its a similar amount to your excess then i wouldnt even bother letting them know.

An unlatched bonnet would be difficult to see on my car unless it was totally unlatched. It has like a two latch thing where as you can press it down and it will click but wont be fully locked until you hear a second click so i do have sympathy for the ops hubby. Id agree with Claire on the insurance also. Get a few quotes first before contacting them and if its a similar amount to your excess then i wouldnt even bother letting them know.

You can always tell, even if it's just the primary latch that's undone. The bonnet is misaligned with the wing. You just have to look at it.

Archived