My bed is about to collapse!!

Get down to the DIY store and see what they have that you could rig to hold the thing together. Jubilee clips as already suggested, or chain link fence fasteners, a variety of threaded bar, nuts, bolts, g clamps. I'm sure you can figure something out.

Savour the authentic student experience by chucking the bed frame out in the front garden and sleeping on the mattress on the floor.

I did this for years, beyond my time as a student and into parenthood, not the chucking things in gardens bit, just the mattress on the floor. It was comfortable enough that I wasn't in any hurry to change things.

I did this for years, beyond my time as a student and into parenthood, not the chucking things in gardens bit, just the mattress on the floor. It was comfortable enough that I wasn't in any hurry to change things.

It isn't however very hygienic, since the half pint (or whatever) of sweat which you exude during the night just soaks into the mattress and has nowhere to evaporate - it just hangs around in the mattress, making it damper and smellier.

Similar problem with divan beds, which is one more reason (apart from their general aesthetic nastiness) why you should buy a slatted bed and allow air to circulate under it.

It isn't however very hygienic, since the half pint (or whatever) of sweat which you exude during the night just soaks into the mattress and has nowhere to evaporate - it just hangs around in the mattress, making it damper and smellier.

Similar problem with divan beds, which is one more reason (apart from their general aesthetic nastiness) why you should buy a slatted bed and allow air to circulate under it.

I never thought of that. I always wondered why they invented the futon instead od just having them directly on the floor..

---------- Post added 20-04-2014 at 01:41 ----------

My bed is about to collapse, i'm sure...

It's been getting worse and worse, I have tightened it up but the hooks on the ends of the side pieces are only 50% held on (the rest has split)

It's an old metal bed frame, and it wasn't 100% when I got it, and it's got much worse..

I can't afford a new bed base, so has anyone got any suggestions of how to fix it? or alternatives?

Do you mean the side rails are splitting?

You can often fix timber by wrapping twine round it then pulling it tight by sticking a bar in the twine and turning it to bring it tight.

Archived