Tripe shops or stalls selling tripe in Sheffield

There is a stall that sells tripe in the new market at the bottom of the moor plain or honeycomb .

I love it raw with pickled onions, plenty of salt pepper and vinegar and a couple of buttered oven bottom bread cakes washed down with a big pint pot of tea .......;)

Edited by grinder

That would be Colley's - here is a list of tripe shops from the 1954 Kelly's Directory.It would seem there was a lot more tripe around in the 1930s - the list in the 1931 Kelly's Directory has 107 entries..:)

In the 1930's (Depression) working class folks had to may every penny count. Hence meals like tripe, cowheel, pig's feet. rabbit etc. Wonder if the Lomas shop from Main Road is the one that evovled into a Fish and Chip shop.

In the 1930's (Depression) working class folks had to may every penny count. Hence meals like tripe, cowheel, pig's feet. rabbit etc. Wonder if the Lomas shop from Main Road is the one that evovled into a Fish and Chip shop.

Post war was pretty similar too, ration books were still around until about 1953, and I was fed all the stuff you mention, except the rabbit, we were posh and had hare..lol. I used to love all that stuff so long as we didn't run out of vinegar. What about ha'penny duck, which was a lot like haslet, and very tasty, and you could fill a big frying pan with sprats for threepence. You know what lads and lasses, I feel like I am beginning to sound like Tony Capstick from about 35 years ago, good day....T

---------- Post added 14-04-2015 at 16:03 ----------

When I was younger my mates and me used to help prepare the tripe at colly's we would go to the abattoir to collect the sheep stomachs then they would be boiled after this we would take them to the castle market I could never eat it myself but it was fun watching Howard and his dad doing the work in the same way it had been done for generations.

My granddad , although he was a miner, worked part time in an abattoir and would never eat tripe or bag and chitterlings. If he was around when anyone else was eating it he would say" If you buggers saw where that came from you would never eat it again".

Post war was pretty similar too, ration books were still around until about 1953,

&

....... If he was around when anyone else was eating it he would say" If you buggers saw where that came from you would never eat it again".

Off ration and available during war and post war years, means people queued hours for it.

Nobody who saw how it came raw in latter years, would have eaten it.

But as the saying went; if you were hungry you'd eat owt !

My granddad , although he was a miner, worked part time in an abattoir and would never eat tripe or bag and chitterlings. If he was around when anyone else was eating it he would say" If you buggers saw where that came from you would never eat it again".

I think that statement covers just about every thing in any butchers shop..

Not to mention the frozen Beef burgers, sausages, stake and kidney pies, chicken dippers ...............etc. etc etc.......:nod:

PS.

I also love me Black pudding as well.....:hihi:

Off ration and available during war and post war years, means people queued hours for it.

Nobody who saw how it came raw in latter years, would have eaten it.

But as the saying went; if you were hungry you'd eat owt !

I didn't mean tripe etc was rationed, I was replying to a post about the depression years, and emphasising that things were still not that great in the post war era.However I was not around in the 30's so I can't compare but my mum told me a few stories, and they were quite grim times.