Tripe shops or stalls selling tripe in Sheffield

My granddad , although he was a miner, worked part time in an abattoir and would never eat tripe or bag and chitterlings. If he was around when anyone else was eating it he would say" If you buggers saw where that came from you would never eat it again".

There are worse things than tripe. How about delicious steak canadien?

Courtesy of 'max' who quoted this from another forum:

"The next year I got a job in an abbatoir / food production plant making doner kebab meat / steak canadians (same stuff). 200Kg blocks of frozen mutton hearts would come in from Australia. We'd then tip them into a large stainless steel hopper together with a bag of liquid animal fat, and a sack of breadcrumbs/spices/additives. Huge claws would rotate down into the hopper; slicing the frozen hearts and generating a liquid slurry. This was then pumped through a giant nozzle into different shaped plastic bags. One shape was for a doner (round-ish) and the other was rectangular to be made into steak canadians (they were then frozen)."

I didn't mean tripe etc was rationed,....

Wasn't suggesting you were.

My point was plenty of people were glad to queue hours for it, at that time.

Thankfully I was too young to be aware of rationing. If I went "without", I wasn't aware of it.

At least one other poster on here ought to be similarly thankful.

My Father used to have tripe and onions with mashed potato for his supper.

We also had sheeps head broth. My Father used to say leave the eyes in, it'll see us through the week.

My stepfather loved sheep's brains, they looked awful in a basin in the fridge, but not bad when fried up. Like the sheep's eyes quip, by the way.

My Father used to have tripe and onions with mashed potato for his supper.

We also had sheeps head broth. My Father used to say leave the eyes in, it'll see us through the week.

hiya there was a tripe place on mitchel street opposite the weston picture house, it was cleaned dresssed and sold there, my mum and gran went there in the 40s,me myself i couldn't stand it, my mum would eat udder,chickling and bag, but not pigs trotters,

Why waste it on a bin !! bring it to me and I'll eat it for you.....:thumbsup:

Now anything with small bones in it or a bit of egg shell and I could be ill but then we aren't all the same are we.

thank god...:nod:

PS

I'm told there used to be two or three in Woodseats but not any longer, Times change don't they and they probably get a better price for it from dog food manufactures today ...

Edited by grinder

My stepfather loved sheep's brains, they looked awful in a basin in the fridge, but not bad when fried up. Like the sheep's eyes quip, by the way.

In the " fridge " blimey you were posh, all our food was kept ont cellar head to keep cool, didn't have a pantry.

There used to be a tripe shop on Meadow Street I can still remember the old lady that served it. She used to have a terrible shake with her arm movements and had quite a problem handling the tripe which would slip out of her hands many times, bless her.

In the " fridge " blimey you were posh, all our food was kept ont cellar head to keep cool, didn't have a pantry.

There used to be a tripe shop on Meadow Street I can still remember the old lady that served it. She used to have a terrible shake with her arm movements and had quite a problem handling the tripe which would slip out of her hands many times, bless her.

I was talking mid to late teens, prior to moving to a new house, I didn't even know what a fridge was or a bathroom, I knew what a Telly was but we didn't have one at the time. By the way we used to dream of having a cool cellar head, before moving. LOL.