Co-operative Bank - card lost - replacement time problem

Last night I lost my bank card at Cineworld at Centertainment.

We tried contacting them last night to see if they had found it; they haven't.

I have called co-operative bank to request a new one and asked them if I can pay to have a new card sent special delivery - they are refusing and saying it will be 3-5 working days and 5-7 for a new pin to be sent. (the pin isnt a problem as someone will be here to get it).

They said that they can send it recorded delivery by pulling it out - and then sending out on its own (not mass card send out) but that takes a day longer!!

I am going to a remote part of Africa on FRIDAY! I am travelling alone so cannot put my money in anyone elses bank account and travelers cheques are not usable.

My train tickets to the airport have been booked online and can only be picked up by using the card (that account) I booked with.

I have almost begged them to send it special delivery. It has taken a long time to save for this holiday. They have said they do not have the facilities to send it by special delivery.

The place I am going does not accept credit cards, it does not accept pre-paid mastercard and it is not the place to take cash.

The only thing the bank would say is take cash!! Why suggest something like that, in Africa, where safety has to be priority without taking spending money in cash?

Am totally gutted and do not know what to do. I researched the best way to take money and it is either cash in US Dollars (but not advisable due to crime) or Visa DEBIT card.

I have been in close contact with those I have booked with and they have now confirmed I should not take a credit card, prepaid cards are not widely accepted to withdraw money.

Please,does anyone have any sensible advice? No nitpickers please, my holiday and payment methods has been very well researched, I am upset and worried about my holiday.

Just to confirm ...

You need your card:

- to collect your train ticket.

- to access cash in Africa.

Can you tell us where in Africa? and who you are booked with?

On the limited information available, I would suggest:

Rail Ticket

- you contact the rail company, explain your situation and ask them to cancel and refund your ticket. Then go and buy one with cash.

If they refuse (maybe a non-refundable ticket?) you will just have to take that as a cost of losing your card and go and buy another one with cash.

Africa

- I would be considering the options of using your holiday booking people to find a way of paying a sum of money to a trusted hotel, business or similar at your destination with a Credit Card over the phone, or by Bank Transfer, with the arrangement that you can get cash, as needed, from them whilst there. Be prepared to pay for this facility.

Similarly, have you looked at money transfer options like Western Union?

Just to confirm ...

You need your card:

- to collect your train ticket.

- to access cash in Africa.

Can you tell us where in Africa? and who you are booked with?

On the limited information available, I would suggest:

Rail Ticket

- you contact the rail company, explain your situation and ask them to cancel and refund your ticket. Then go and buy one with cash.

If they refuse (maybe a non-refundable ticket?) you will just have to take that as a cost of losing your card and go and buy another one with cash.

Africa

- I would be considering the options of using your holiday booking people to find a way of paying a sum of money to a trusted hotel, business or similar at your destination with a Credit Card over the phone, or by Bank Transfer, with the arrangement that you can get cash, as needed, from them whilst there. Be prepared to pay for this facility.

Yes, need my card for access to money in Botswana and Zimbabwe. I am not staying in a hotel; I am travelling to remote parts and have booked all flights etc as an independent traveller but used some services via an agent in Africa.

The last 6 days I am staying with a friend in South Africa.

Train tickets is least of the problems really - its money in Africa I am bothered about.

The only 2 days for the first 2 weeks I can access cash will be in Victoria falls (day 1) and Maun, Botswana (day 6); other than that I am not anywhere near an internet connection, banks etc so need cash (US$) for basic daily needs.

---------- Post added 22-04-2014 at 11:09 ----------

I had not even thought of Western Union, thank you, I will check this out right now. Thank you so much.

So, you need to get your hands on cash at Victoria Falls & Maun.

They both have branches of Barclays and Stanbic (and others) as well as Western Union agencies.

The banks should change Travellers Cheques.

Thank you so much, I can't say how much I appreciate your help.

Could someone close the thread for me now as I have the excellent advice I was looking for.

Archived