Ebay - first problem - had to happen I suppose!

Been 'doing' ebay for about 6 months, getting rid of things I no longer want and its gone great so far, but I suppose it had to happen, today I have had my first.....""item is not the colour I expected, looks blue in the photo but its black and I already have a black one so I want my money back or else"".....the item is a designer scarf worth a good bit but sold for £25, I have looked again at my photos on ebay and I have to admit that on one photo (there are several) the border does look blue, but on the other photos it is clear that the border is black and in my description I have not mentioned any colours other than to say it is vibrant. Anyway, I have offered a refund once she returns it to me, but I wondered if anyone else has experience of this as I have an awful feeling that I am being conned as I have heard of people buying designer and returning fakes, but hey ho, will put it down to experience.

when you get the item back and it IS what you sent. refund the sale price but not the post and packing. you are not obliged to refund their original post or their return post. if in doubt, ring ebay. but wait while you get it back. communicate with the buyer through ebay messages and save all messages.

in future make sure colour, size etc are in the description.

buy it now customers can cancel an order within a 7 day period. remember this if you offer buy it now.

• 2 months later...

In my opinion eBay is not a level playing field anymore, and I am totally put off selling expensive items other than cash/collection.

I've got an expensive watch that I want to sell, and 6 years ago wouldn't have hesitated putting it on eBay but not now. Too risky.

Another annoyance is the BIN facility, which they charge you for and then disappears as soon as a bid is placed.

Timewasters/non payers and those who complain about an accurately described item get my back up.

The non payers seem to come out in force around Christmas, as for the others get them to return the item to you and ensure that its the exact same item - I sold an industrial sized toner cartridge for a large HP printer, fortunately for me I added the serial number to the auction. The buyer claimed it was damaged, sent it back and hey presto not my item. Gave the evidence to ebay and I won....doesn't happen very often

Collection can be dodgy as well especially when you're expecting one person and the whole dodgy family turn up. I've had this once, made them all stand outside in the rain whilst I dealt with the said buyer (there were 12 of them)!!! Now I ensure they come alone or 2 if the item is heavy.

Timewasters/non payers and those who complain about an accurately described item get my back up.

The non payers seem to come out in force around Christmas, as for the others get them to return the item to you and ensure that its the exact same item - I sold an industrial sized toner cartridge for a large HP printer, fortunately for me I added the serial number to the auction. The buyer claimed it was damaged, sent it back and hey presto not my item. Gave the evidence to ebay and I won....doesn't happen very often

Collection can be dodgy as well especially when you're expecting one person and the whole dodgy family turn up. I've had this once, made them all stand outside in the rain whilst I dealt with the said buyer (there were 12 of them)!!! Now I ensure they come alone or 2 if the item is heavy.

Lovely post. It's going to be a pleasure to deconstruct.

Archived