Speed limit on Penistone Road

I'm sure many drivers will be aware of the camera van frequently parked just above Deerlands Avenue/Halifax Rd junction. I always thought that they monitored vehicles travelling into town, but the other day a friend was caught doing 37mph in this vicinity going out of town. I have also seen motorcycle cops with radar guns parked round the long sweeping left hander following Cowper Avenue, outward bound.

If you're leaving town it's very difficult to spot that mobile camera on Halifax Road. I know it's often there, so I'm extra careful. It's easy to get caught out if you're trying to overtake a slow moving vehicle before the 30 zone starts. Notice that they moved the 30 zone several hundred yards down the hill, onto the dual carriageway, when they resurfaced and remodelled the junction there recently.

I've always thought it seems more set up to catch people coming out of the 40mph limit, as it's pointing down the hill and has a clear view of the opposite carriageway. If they wanted to catch people going into town they'd point the camera the other way and get them before they spot the camera. At the moment it's easy to spot if you're going into town and slow down before you get into its camera view.

Speaking of the Grenoside camera van again, just analyse why they monitor that stretch. Once you're through the lights at Saltbox Lane, you're confronted with a wide road, very wide verge to the left, and the progressive pull of gravity as the road steepens, so on some cars one might have to drop into third gear and/or pump the brakes to hold 30. In addition, the gear ratio/torque characteristics of modern engines can make it difficult, in some circumstances, to drive smoothly at these speeds. On top of all this a wide, distracting vista of Sheffield opens up; all these factors contributing to a false perception of speed. Gotcha!