Management Techniques

Hey, I am wondering in any style of business or organisation, which style of management should ever exist.

I am looking at a few cookery shows and Gordon Ramsay takes the proverbial biscuit.

I used to be a big fan of his when he did his English Kitchen Nightmares show but since moving to the States.

Everything is ramped up to 11 and his people management skills leave a lot to be desired especially on TV.

I agree with tough love at work, you expect excellence from staff and only give rewards if earned.

I also believe that you cannot treat staff as your mates either, a professional distance is required.

I know the general workforce make friends and develop lasting relationships even with managers to a degree.

But on the most part, I cannot believe any business can get by with abusing their staff on a daily basis just to get results.

I think in situations like Gordon Ramsay, yes he had a rough upbringing and bust his balls to get to the top.

But I do not agree with pushing and abusing staff so they work harder for you and they supposed to fear you to gain respect.

I think an occasional ribbing, telling off, pat on the back when needed, even a heart to heart shoulder to cry on never hurts.

I even think that a quiet yet efficient workplace ensures discipline without losing your temper and lets people get on with their duties.

I also believe that having an atmosphere where people walk on egg shells is out of order, managers need to be approachable and humble.

I have worked in many industries and have always appreciated as an employee that those bosses who are there when you need them yet have a quiet authority that means you know **** will hit the fan when you do something wrong, is always best in any environment.

I have experienced managers and staff who are very clicky and talk in corners and are never around when things happen, I have also seen gross misconduct of all levels and have at times in my varied and colourful work history, want to either slap someone senseless or just walk out.

I think in any job the customer is mostly correct but in terms of staff, they must be respected and reworded accordingly.

Hey, I am wondering in any style of business or organisation, which style of management should ever exist.

I am looking at a few cookery shows and Gordon Ramsay takes the proverbial biscuit.

I used to be a big fan of his when he did his English Kitchen Nightmares show but since moving to the States.

Everything is ramped up to 11 and his people management skills leave a lot to be desired especially on TV.

I agree with tough love at work, you expect excellence from staff and only give rewards if earned.

I also believe that you cannot treat staff as your mates either, a professional distance is required.

I know the general workforce make friends and develop lasting relationships even with managers to a degree.

But on the most part, I cannot believe any business can get by with abusing their staff on a daily basis just to get results.

I think in situations like Gordon Ramsay, yes he had a rough upbringing and bust his balls to get to the top.

But I do not agree with pushing and abusing staff so they work harder for you and they supposed to fear you to gain respect.

I think an occasional ribbing, telling off, pat on the back when needed, even a heart to heart shoulder to cry on never hurts.

I even think that a quiet yet efficient workplace ensures discipline without losing your temper and lets people get on with their duties.

I also believe that having an atmosphere where people walk on egg shells is out of order, managers need to be approachable and humble.

I have worked in many industries and have always appreciated as an employee that those bosses who are there when you need them yet have a quiet authority that means you know **** will hit the fan when you do something wrong, is always best in any environment.

I have experienced managers and staff who are very clicky and talk in corners and are never around when things happen, I have also seen gross misconduct of all levels and have at times in my varied and colourful work history, want to either slap someone senseless or just walk out.

I think in any job the customer is mostly correct but in terms of staff, they must be respected and reworded accordingly.

Is this a free verse poem?

Discuss.

I would class any type of chef different to any other managers in the work place. The likes of chefs you see on TV are either crazy or simply doing it for TV like someone else has already said.

The programs I see with chefs screaming, sweat dripping down faces, adrenalin rushing etc is nonsense, end of the day they are making someone a meal! Really does make me wonder how the likes of Ramsey would cope if he was actually doing something important for a career rather than feeding someone.

cookery programs on TV are getting out of hand, don't class the entertainment of TV cooking like general kitchens work, or I at least really hope they don't, I wouldnt want to eat somewhere where the likes of those work at a million miles an hour, I'll stick to Charlie Chalk.

He's not there to 'Manage'...he's consulting on a failing business, he leaves constructive criticism, a re-vamped restaurant and maybe a reality check.

I'd hardly use Gordon Ramsay as a model to base a discussion on management skills on.

Indeed, I think he is more famous for swearing than his cooking ability

I rule the office with an iron fist. I shout and swear and throw the photocopier at any staff who don't live up to my expectations.

Now I wonder why everyone keeps leaving? :confused:

or word gets round and nobody is prepared to work for them in the first place. I think they take the line, "There's always someone else to fill your shoes ... blah blah blah" Well there isn't always

Performance management in most businesses/organisations is almost entirely focused on staff... which is why they find it so hard to improve. The problems in most businesses/organisation are down to the wrong management practices that start at the top and cascades down. Unless that changes you will keep getting similar results despite any cosmetic changes to service delivery made at operational level.

I'm not saying that people don't have to be managed but it is small change activity in the scheme of things. Floging the horses is what people do when they don't know what to do.

Archived