Most welcoming members golf clubs

I'm new to the area and would like to join a golf club. There are plenty of reviews about course quality and I have a feel about price. I play at a good level so am interested in the challenging end of the market but what is slightly harder to gauge until you've already paid the fees is how easy it is to integrate into member golf clubs / how clicky they are and the opportunities for new members to find golf partners. Any advice?

• 2 months later...

Did you join a club? I'm looking at joining now but i think most of the clubs membership runs January - December, so would lose half a years play.

I've looked at a couple of clubs outside Sheffield that I've played recently - The Nottinghamshire and Gainsborough, they're significantly less and both have 2 courses. Wonder why Sheffield clubs are so much more?

We've played most of the local courses on special offers, society days and the dreaded 'Groupon' tickets. The members are not always consulted about new ways of raising funds and many don't like any change at all. Our reception has varied from good to freezing to outright hostility (Groupon is NOT popular at some clubs). One sticks out from the rest....

Lees Hall is a very welcoming friendly club.

I worked behind the bar at Lees Hall Golf Club during my time at University and can back up it is a very friendly club, the members will always welcome guests and make sure they have a fantastic experience so that they want to come back, a lot of societies come up on a regular / annual basis due to the fact they have felt welcome as soon as they have walked into the club house.

The captain and vice captain are both very welcoming and take the time to introduce themselves to guests and take an honest interest in how you found the course and how you have enjoyed your day.

I know you may think I am biased as being staff there for a while but I have played a lot of golf all round Sheffield and have not been in a club house anywhere near as welcoming as Lees Hall.

• 1 year later...
I am in a similar position to some on here having just re-located and looking for decent cheap golf until the new year as memberships run Jan-Dec any advice

Try Phoenix Golf Club at Rotherham. The membership runs from October-September and is one of the cheapest private courses in the area and is currently in excellent condition.