Vauxall astra problem

My friend has a Vauxall astra 1.9cdti sri 150 on a 08 plate and is having problems with it.

They were driving along and the car started to make a noise as if something was scraping along the floor. They pulled over and had a look under the car but nothing appeared to be out of place. When they started the vehicle back up the engine sounded fine but when they put it into first gear and tried to pull away the car seemed as if the hand break was on. When putting their foot back down on the clutch they were unable to get the car out of first gear. When recovery arrived they had to rock the car back and forth to get the car out of gear. Since this time the engine will now not start. Anyone have any ideas what the problem may be ?

Aren't the gearboxes on these rubbish as well, I seem to remember my friend having to get his reconditioned when it was only a few years old.

apparently they are, he has just been told that the fly wheel clutch and gearbox all need replacing £1700..ouch.!!

Can anyone recommend anyone.?

Archived