Automatic v Stick Shift Vehicles

Having had numerous driving lessons years ago and still not progressed, mainly down to poor theory tests.

I came to the conclusion why the UK predominantly uses stick shift vehicles.

I know in the US of A that they mostly all use automatic cars.

So why on earth do we make driving so damn difficult for drivers, why are we making people do what the engine should be doing.

I think stick shifting vehicles is a bygone method nowadays, what with self driving cars and technology all the rage.

I think every single vehicle in the world should be fully automatic, intelligent auto would be great in maintaining optimal speeds.

I understand people who race needing manual gears in order for them to have full control of the engine.

But for general use, automatic has got to be the way to go, making learning to drive easier and letting the car do the work.

An automatic car is the equivalent of putting stabilizers on a adult bicycle.

In America perhaps - i've never heard anyone selling a stick shift car.
The geeneral term in America for manual transmission is not stick shift, it's standard shift.

---------- Post added 29-04-2014 at 08:37 ----------

In America perhaps - i've never heard anyone selling a stick shift car.
The general term in America for manual transmission is not stick shift, it's standard shift, or just standard.

An automatic car is the equivalent of putting stabilizers on a adult bicycle.

Really? So you generally drive in such a manner that 'it's all hanging out' do you?

Boy racer ?

The DSG auto box was developed by BorgWarner a US company and in addition to being installed in VW and Audi cars a 'beefed up' version is being installed in the latest Porsche.

Now that should tell you something, German auto manufacturers buying in American technology.

Only one reason they would do that, it's the best.

On my little Polo there are seven gears. If I choose sports mode we are talking excretia off a digging implement.

If Danny Boy buys his VW Golf R with the DSG then unless you are driving something which cost upward of £50,000 when he puts his foot down you won't see his arse for the dust.

No manually operated gear shift car of similar spec can compete.

Personally, I just appreciate a smooth drive, but whatever floats your boat as they say.

Really? So you generally drive in such a manner that 'it's all hanging out' do you?

Boy racer ?

The DSG auto box was developed by BorgWarner a US company and in addition to being installed in VW and Audi cars a 'beefed up' version is being installed in the latest Porsche.

Now that should tell you something, German auto manufacturers buying in American technology.

Only one reason they would do that, it's the best.

On my little Polo there are seven gears. If I choose sports mode we are talking excretia off a digging implement.

If Danny Boy buys his VW Golf R with the DSG then unless you are driving something which cost upward of £50,000 when he puts his foot down you won't see his arse for the dust.

No manually operated gear shift car of similar spec can compete.

Personally, I just appreciate a smooth drive, but whatever floats your boat as they say.

Haha apparently 0-62 in 4.6 seconds has been achieved with DSG :twisted:

Haha apparently 0-62 in 4.6 seconds has been achieved with DSG :twisted:

I'm going to leave this here, same model as ours. I have done this from traffic lights onto a motorway in the Netherlands and it is the most satisfying feeling when you leave a (no offense Danny, they have a reputation in the Netherlands!) Golf Gti standing.

Cause yeah, automatics are slow.

Point taken. :D

Seriously though, the best thing for me (most probably) would be a steering wheel accelerator mod of some sort. I'm not even sure that exists. :help:

Then again i don't want to make too much of my "suffering", as between the two 184 mile journeys i'll probably cover 100+ miles on foot, checking out various ancient sites.

Yes, hand controls are very simple to fit and move between vehicles, and that is paired with a steering wheel knob allowing you to use the steering wheel entirely one handed.

You need your car to be automatic for them to work and then you have a simple push/pull lever, push for accelerator and pull for brake. You're left with no spare hands for hand signals, but that's by the by.

I've had the delightful news that even though it's my left leg that's knackered this time around and my left leg doesn't do much when I'm driving, I may never be able to do more than local driving again, or be a passenger in a car, coach, plane or train if I have to sit with my leg bent for more than half an hour at a time again. Deep joy.

---------- Post added 29-04-2014 at 16:05 ----------

Sorry, but you haven't got a clue. If I need manual control, I've got it, I just put the poke in manual, simple as. But most of the time I don't need it because simply lifting of the gas pedal is enough to slow down where needed, including down hill. Only road where I always change to manual is coming down the other end of Snake Pass.

The day autos were dumb machines is decades behind us.

What he says :)

Autos control the gears and the power differently, whereas you seem to think that they don't control it at all. I change gear with my right foot whilst simultaneously controlling the accelerator, using the same pedal. With a 7 speed gearbox I can sometimes change down 3 or 4 gears when I need the poke to overtake things, and that change is done in well under the time that you could do it with a manual gearbox.

Medusa.

When you say hand signals, I assume you mean the single digit salute, or maybe the two fingered salutation, or even the full hand <removed> sign?

Other than those I haven't seen a genuine 'turning' hand signal fot years.

Medusa.

When you say hand signals, I assume you mean the single digit salute, or maybe the two fingered salutation, or even the full hand <removed> sign?

Other than those I haven't seen a genuine 'turning' hand signal fot years.

I mean acknowledging other drivers, as well as the legal responsibility that everybody has to be able to make proper hand signals in the event that their indicators fail.

If you can't lift either hand up then you can't thank drivers who have given way to you, for instance.

(I'm editing out your disguised rude word BTW).

I'm going to leave this here, same model as ours. I have done this from traffic lights onto a motorway in the Netherlands and it is the most satisfying feeling when you leave a (no offense Danny, they have a reputation in the Netherlands!) Golf Gti standing.

Cause yeah, automatics are slow.

Non taken mate, the Golf I am looking at is the R 300BHP. I originally went to look at a GTI but I did not like the interior I thought it looked old fashioned, when I added leather it made the car nearly the same price as the R so thought it made sense to just for the better model.

Archived