UK economy grows by 0.8%

What does it mean when it says that the economy has grown?

Does inflation grow the economy, does government borrowing and then spending it grow the economy?

Does more immigration grow the economy, so the economy with a population of 52 million will be smaller than one with 62 million. Does it mean we will all be happier?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-27203433

It is to do with the amount of spending, but it is a really complex system that can be manipulated rather easily (for example by government spending). However, it is a standard that has been used for a long time and seems to be rather accurate.

It is to do with the amount of spending, but it is a really complex system that can be manipulated rather easily (for example by government spending). However, it is a standard that has been used for a long time and seems to be rather accurate.

They have different measures of inflation, do they have a 'growth' measure without government spending?

They have different measures of inflation, do they have a 'growth' measure without government spending?

At that point you'd have to define government spending :) Like I said, it is really complex. If I am not mistaken the way they assess it on an annual basis is through the tax-income - by knowing how much tax was paid over a year you know how the GDP is doing. But I am not sure how they do it for the quarterly/monthly statements. Perhaps that is based on the VAT balance in combination with a comparison of previous years?

I only have an A-level equivalent in economics though, so I am not sure, it is a long time since I had to read through all this stuff!

You are joking rigth - there's no way that Brown et al would have allowed that as it would have shown some alarming numbers. Similarly there is no way Osborne will allow it until the economy is back to something like normal. It is a good idea though.

Have you noticed when it's not good news it's classed as an economic forescast but if things are looking better it's classed as actual economic growth?

Nope these are actual figures, which relate to events past that have happened. Forecasts relate to predictions for the future.

Archived