UK economy grows by 0.8%

Was that in all the papers or was it just the opinion of one rag??

If the ONS have said that and backed it up with some facts and figures then fair enough.

I think one of the problems with national statistics is that they calculate the mean average, which is distorted by extremes, and these are creating a false picture.

For instance the average price of a house is now said to be £260,000, but this figure is created because of the average £500,000, and several multi-million price tags in London, wheras the average price for 80% of the country is around £190,000.

The same is true of average salaries, with CEOs now earning 143 times the average worker, (Martin Sorrell 29.8 million!) the picture is distorted and brings the average salary up to about £30,000, (which is then used for other calculations,) when in reality the vast majority of people earn much less.

All this distorts the overall economic picture.

Maybe we should start using the median or mode average to give more realistic results.

Any chance of a citation or reference to this?

Looked for it and struggled to find a story linking to the 134 years printed in the Metro, although I found many stories saying people are much worse off these days. Are you calling me a liar?

---------- Post added 21-08-2014 at 12:31 ----------

But here you go http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-28878998. Although it's from the ONS quango, which I absolutely hate and let's hope they've got their figure wrong on this one too, it's the the BBC that referenced the ONS in this instance

Looked for it and struggled to find a story linking to the 134 years printed in the Metro, although I found many stories saying people are much worse off these days. Are you calling me a liar?

Well you brought that appellation up Mecky so if the cap fits.... It was a simple request from me that's all. Can't see why you have to be so combatitve but it's easy to do from a keyboard isn't it.

Although it's from the ONS quango,

So it's the quango you profess to hate, being used by you when convenient to bolster a claim...

You may not be a liar but you certainly are a hypocrite of the highest order.

Oh and the story has no relevance whatsoever to what I asked you to provide a link to....

Archived