English and Proud?

http://news.uk.msn.com/ukip-appeal-stronger-in-england

Why is it that it's OK to say you're Scottish, Welsh or irish (or any other country for that matter) but say you're English not British and you MUST be a xenophobe or racist? I put English as my nationality on forms but always feel a bit worried that it will make me look like I'm a BNP supporter or something. I want to be proud to be English, but feel I can't. I can be English first and British second can't I? Anyone else feel like this?

http://news.uk.msn.com/ukip-appeal-stronger-in-england

Why is it that it's OK to say you're Scottish, Welsh or irish (or any other country for that matter) but say you're English not British and you MUST be a xenophobe or racist? I put English as my nationality on forms but always feel a bit worried that it will make me look like I'm a BNP supporter or something. I want to be proud to be English, but feel I can't. I can be English first and British second can't I? Anyone else feel like this?

Your link has nothing to do with the subject matter of your post. It just says people in England are more likely to vote for right-wing parties than the Welsh and Scottish are.

yet another bee in the bonnet poster about being english :roll:

im english, im proud, im yorkshire, im proud

im not racist

nor do i need to bang on about being english, nor do i need to fly a flag to prove im english, or shout from the rooftops

if needed yeah i write english on forms, why would i feel bad about doing so? :suspect:

it asks your nationality, you write it down, not hard

Your link has nothing to do with the subject matter of your post. It just says people in England are more likely to vote for right-wing parties than the Welsh and Scottish are.

Why is that though? If you ask 90% of Scotsmen or Welshmen what nationality they are they won't say British unlike most Englishman. Can I not describe my nationality as English (or indeed northerner!) without being labeled a right wing but job?

Archived