Gerry Adams arrested.

Very brave move, makes me wonder what triggered it? Perhaps DNA or an anonymous witness statement?

On Newsnight they said the arrest was made on the evidence of someone who recorded an interview under the condition that it was only released when they died. It went to say that it would be hard to make it stick because the person who gave the interview cannot themselves be interviewed by the police.

sounds like it could be an old Fenian squabble resuscitated by a strike from beyond the grave. Good story, but I doubt whether it will get as far as the Belfast Oxford Street courts.

apparently there's a taped interview with somebody who mentions him in relation to it, as well as a woman also mentioned him in relation to it, but he says he's innocent and went to the station himself

what of the peace in northern Ireland if found guilty?

This is down to the 'Boston Tapes'.

A series of interviews were carried out years back in order to learn as much as possible about the truth of what happened during 'The Troubles' in NI.

It's quite controversial, in that these interviews were given purely on the understanding that they would not be released until after the death of the person being recorded and as I understand it in some cases for a period of years after their death.

Word was given that would be honoured but it was then overruled in court and the tapes released.

Don't see this sticking to be honest, the uncorroburated statement of someone who were themselves involved in the situation can hardly be accepted as proof.

For all anyone knows they may have had a score to settle or be attempting to justify their own actions and shift the blame.

Anyway Gerry has always denied being in the IRA. :rolleyes:

I was watching Newsnight last night and apparently he's been arrested many times by the N I police.... I wonder if the police have new forensic evidence?

I doubt forensic evidence would link Adams to the murder. His role in the Ra was at the top level and it's surely unlikely that anyone in that role would do the alleged deed themselves.

I doubt forensic evidence would link Adams to the murder. His role in the Ra was at the top level and it's surely unlikely that anyone in that role would do the alleged deed themselves.

Listen, how many times has Gerry got to say it?

He was never in the IRA! :D

Actually, as I understand it, he's not being accused of actually doing it but of ordering it to be done.

Which as far as culpability is concerned is the same if not worse.

Archived