EU and democracy

I wasn't given the chance to vote for the President of the Commission (Barroso), I wasn't given the chance to vote for President of the European Council (van Rompuy), I wasn't given the chance to vote for the President of the European Parliament (Schulz) and I wasn't given the chance to vote for the "High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy for the European Union" (Ashton).

Is the OP really asking if the EU is democratic?

You weren't given the chance to vote for the Prime-Minister of the UK, you weren't given the chance to vote for the Chancellor, or the Health minister or whoever else. You might have been able to vote for the Deputy Prime Minister, but even then you would only have voted for him to represent you in his voting district, not whether he should be deputy or not.

I am not asking if the EU is democratic, I am telling you that it is.

Its not very democratic being given the right to vote in a representative, if I don't also have the democratic right to vote for no representative. I don't want to be represented in EU because I don't want to be in the EU. Therefor a vote for UKIP is the logical vote.

Why are you asking me, I haven't said anything to the contrary?

How can you come out with a statement that says: its not very democratic being given the right to vote in a representative? What is it then? Show? Just to make clear you understand the British system: That is exactly what you do in the general election in this country. To the dot.

You weren't given the chance to vote for the Prime-Minister of the UK, you weren't given the chance to vote for the Chancellor, or the Health minister or whoever else. You might have been able to vote for the Deputy Prime Minister, but even then you would only have voted for him to represent you in his voting district, not whether he should be deputy or not.

I'm telling you it isn't.

Tell us, what democratic election did Baroness Ashton win, ever?

So you agree then that we should have a referendum to decide if we stay in or leave the EU.

Yes, I have never said anything to the contrary. The only thing I can do, as a pro-European that believes in democracy, is stand my ground and explain why the EU is useful and indeed extremely beneficial.

---------- Post added 02-05-2014 at 21:44 ----------

I'm telling you it isn't.

Tell us, what democratic election did Baroness Ashton win, ever?

What democratic election did the bishop of Birmingham win to get into the House of Lords? Ever?

How can you come out with a statement that says: its not very democratic being given the right to vote in a representative? What is it then? Show? Just to make clear you understand the British system: That is exactly what you do in the general election in this country. To the dot.

It was easy, I wasn't given the right to vote on EU membership, I have been told we are in and my only choice is to vote for a representative. Its not a great choice if you don't want to be in the EU.

---------- Post added 02-05-2014 at 21:47 ----------

Yes, I have never said anything to the contrary. The only thing I can do, as a pro-European that believes in democracy, is stand my ground and explain why the EU is useful and indeed extremely beneficial.

---------- Post added 02-05-2014 at 21:44 ----------

What democratic election did the bishop of Birmingham win to get into the House of Lords? Ever?

So until we get that in out choice do you agree that being in the EU isn't very democratic, it was simply forced on the vast majority of people all across Europe.

It was easy, I wasn't given the right to vote on EU membership, I have been told we are in and my only choice is to vote for a representative. Its not a great choice if you don't want to be in the EU.

Nor was I, but that would be because I am not old enough

Tell me Ivanava did you vote for the current UK political system? If you did, can I write your biography about your life as a vampire?

Diversionary tactics. We've suddenly gone from discussion of the EU (as per YOUR OP) to discussion of the Bishop of Birmingham. I hope you won't be accusing others of taking threads off topic.

---------- Post added 02-05-2014 at 21:47 ----------

So until we get that in out choice do you agree that being in the EU isn't very democratic, it was simply forced on the vast majority of people all across Europe.

No I don't agree with that, see my above reply. The EU is highly democratic.

---------- Post added 02-05-2014 at 21:49 ----------

Diversionary tactics. We've suddenly gone from discussion of the EU (as per YOUR OP) to discussion of the Bishop of Birmingham. I hope you won't be accusing others of taking threads off topic.

No, nothing diversionary about it SevenRivers, just pointing out that your argument applies just as much to the country you want to see independent as it does to the EU. Go troll somewhere else unless you have a genuine contribution.

Archived