White "paint" writing on shop windows,

I used to write on the windows with the daily offers at the fruit shop at gleadless town end.It was like shoe whitening.I was just given a jam jar and brush and told what to put on.King Edward potatoes always took pride of place.

I used to write on the windows with the daily offers at the fruit shop at gleadless town end.It was like shoe whitening.I was just given a jam jar and brush and told what to put on.King Edward potatoes always took pride of place.

How did you get king Ted's spuds to stay on the window ? :)

In my time I sold many packets of 'whitening' or whitewash, which came as a powder in a long box, similar in size to a cream cracker box. I sold it at 10d a packet which is about 4p in centigrade.

Most people put it in a galvanised bucket (7/6) ,filled it up with water, gave it a good stir, and applied it to the cellar walls with a lime washing brush (2/6).

I really must change my name back to Arkwright!

In my time I sold many packets of 'whitening' or whitewash, which came as a powder in a long box, similar in size to a cream cracker box. I sold it at 10d a packet which is about 4p in centigrade.

Most people put it in a galvanised bucket (7/6) ,filled it up with water, gave it a good stir, and applied it to the cellar walls with a lime washing brush (2/6).

I really must change my name back to Arkwright!

It was used for everything in those days, ceilings, fences, outside walls, huts.

Poor man's paint.

I remember Wilson's fruit & veg. shop near to where I grew up that always had this sort of writing on the window. Mr Wilson wasn't very good at spelling, and he was also a true devotee of the "greengrocer's apostrophe". This meant that he was offering APPLE'S PEACH'S, CARROTT'S, POTATO'S, PEA'S etc..:P

Archived