Sheffield Midland Station, turn table.

i worked in the south No1 signal box which controlled the fish dock sidings that housed the turntable. i had photos but over the years have lost them

---------- Post added 06-05-2014 at 14:22 ----------

40 years of sheffield power signal box . try looking up this book it shows lots of old signal boxes around sheffield. i know theres pics of the south No1 box but dont know if it shows fish dock ect

do you mean the turn table near the end of Suffolk rd near where the B&C funeral directors are based if it is I remember the steam engines being driven on there where a driver and fireman would turn the loco round till it was in line of the track it needed to go on, I loved to go and watch them turn round with all the whistles and smell of smoke, oil, and coal a nice treat as we kids wold take a sack or two and put as much of the spilt coal in the sack as we could carry

Yes that's the one. When I was an apprentice with BR for a couple of days, I worked with a fitter, who was dismantling it. The foreman realised I was an apprentice electrician, and took me off the job and I wondered what it looked like when it was intact.

I couldn't find a pic of the actual turntable but it's not bad to say the least and shows a little more as to what extent the railway spread to around the old Midland Station.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw015463

EDIT: Or a little better still

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s12347&prevUrl=

Edited by darylslinn

Here is a link to another picturesheffield.com photo showing the pumphouse. The sign at the right-hand side reads LONDON MIDLAND & SCOTTISH RAILWAY HORSE CARRIAGE & FISH DOCK.

---------- Post added 10-05-2014 at 18:28 ----------

I found the photo that I mentioned in post #6 - here is an enlarged scan of the relevant area.

Edited by hillsbro

Thanks hillsbro, that's much clearer of the turntable & pumphouse. I guess that the chimney at the side of the pumphouse was for the boiler that originally powered the pumps which raised the accumilator, in the tall building, to drive the hydraulic lifts on the station.

...40 years of sheffield power signal box . try looking up this book it shows lots of old signal boxes around sheffield. i know theres pics of the south No1 box but dont know if it shows fish dock ect
The book can be read online see here and a hardcopy or or Ebook purchased via the same website. As far as I can see there is just one relevant photo, taken in 1968 looking from the station towards the fish dock - here is a copy.