Animals in confined spaces

I recently decided to take a trip to Meadowhall and do something that struck me while walking around the Countryside.

I was greeted with happy smiles and a hello by almost everyone I walked past. I then started to think about how different people are in places like the underground in London, etc.

I walked in to Meadowhall and made eye contact with everyone and not a single smile. I even smiled and said hello. Nothing! it was like a zombie of people.

So why is it that people change in places where it's crowded?

A case study on 2 rats showed ''Happy rats'' but when 2 became 4, something changed. One of the rats became very aggressive and the others coward in the corner.

I've seen this in heavy traffic. The driver becomes very angry and goes in to rage mode.

Why is it we change in confide spaces?

I recently decided to take a trip to Meadowhall and do something that struck me while walking around the Countryside.

I was greeted with happy smiles and a hello by almost everyone I walked past. I then started to think about how different people are in places like the underground in London, etc.

I walked in to Meadowhall and made eye contact with everyone and not a single smile. I even smiled and said hello. Nothing! it was like a zombie of people.

A case study on 2 rats showed ''Happy rats'' but when 2 became 4, something changed. One of the rats became very aggressive and the others coward in the corner.

I've seen this in heavy traffic. The driver becomes very angry and goes in to rage mode.

Because over crowding causes misery, humans evolved in uncrowded country side.

Because people who spend their spare time trudging around Meadowhall are miserable, unintelligent chavs but people who spend their spare time enjoying the freedom of the countryside are happy and imaginative people?

I guess people are more relaxed when out in open spaces. Worries about everyday life are put at the back of your mind for a few hours, resulting in a more affable manner.

When I lived out in the sticks in Ireland, I would take walks on country roads and you could guarantee the odd passing motorist would give you a wave.

It's about numbers basically. Smiling and saying hello to each and every member of the throng at Meadowhall would be odd behaviour, just as failing to acknowledge a stray person on a lonely hike would be.

People usually do smile and say hello in the countryside, its because if you are walking along a remote pathway, its to show you are friendly and mean no harm. I come from a rural area, and that's always been my philosophy - country folk are much more friendly.

True to a degree Glennis, Sheffielders are very friendly on the whole as well though.

I moved from a town to a village when I was 12 or so and really had to get used to people I didn't know greeting me. At some point an old dear came up and said 'oh, hi Tim, you're the oldest aren't you? Freaked me out no end! After a year you start doing it yourself though. Also around that time I learned that the lovely lady lived three doors down!

Archived