Childrens pub and club trips 1950s

Gotcha'..... and the.....'Prospect view' (Cuckoo) ..... also the 'Upper Heeley WMC' all long gone of course.... and on occasions the 'Wagon and horses' and the one up 'Penns road' .... the 'Newfield' ? ..... Cheers DGJ

The Cuckoo ,when I first visited that pub I thought I had entered some ones front room there was a curtain across a dividing doorway and the place was in darkness, I knocked on the bar and an old women appeared through the curtain and asked me what I wanted, so I ordered a pint, she vanished again into the back room then came back with a jug and filled me a pint pot.

It was like one of those stranger than fiction story's you used to see on the telly.

Oh the excitement.... Up at the crack of dawn, brief trip to the outside loo and a hearty bacon & egg breakfast, during which time mum tried her best to give us a good scrub and make us look respectable (or as near to respectable as possible for the Hillsborough equivalent of the Bash Street Kids). Then up to the Dial House Club to find our allocated Hirst & Sweeting or Law Brothers coach among the dozen or so that lined Far Lane. Soon on our way with 3s.6d spending money, a chocolate bar and a small bottle of S.Y.D.S. pop for the journey. Spotting car numbers as we headed eastwards via Wickersley, Maltby and Bawtry (look out for 60022 Mallard or one of its stablemates on the East Coast Main Line viaduct) and Gringley-on-the-Hill (lovely name!) to Caenby Corner. Then after a loo stop, on the road again via Caistor to CLEETHORPES !! A label attached to our lapels with the time and place of the return departure in case we got lost (but nobody did). A fish & chip dinner at Woolies (the Holly Bush trip was a bit more select - 4s 6d spending money and dinner at Lyons Corner Café, but still fish & chips, with ice cream for afters). A ride on the dodgems, a paddle in the sea (if it wasn't a mile out as it usually was at Cleethorpes). Candy floss, toffee apple and maybe a donkey ride. Dropping a stink bomb in the amusements and running off, or shaking the machine until the alarm rang (and running off...). Singing "One Man Went to Mow" on the coach coming home (or maybe "This Old Man, He Played One" or "There Was Three Jews from Jerusalem" etc.). If Skegness had been the destination, watching out for the stuffed bear outside the pub at Dunham as we went past. Mum and dad waiting for the bunch of tired kids when we got back. Wonderful.

I remember them very well the main place to go was Cleethorpes on the train cause it stopped on the sea front you got 5 shilling as soon as you got it off we all went to the slots we got there about 10 am and we had spent up by dinner then spent the rest of the day wonder round till dinner which was in a big hall next to the station where we would queue for fish and chips we took 5 or 6 coaches unlike the Arundel at manor top would have some thing like 30 or 35 coaches full and it was similar for the other 2 clubs up there, in the afternoon we would see all the committee men going into the working mens club and coming out ****** at 10 to4 as all coaches had to be out of the town by then. then the coaches stopping every half hour for the committee men to have a **** and the kids throw up happy days

The club trip from the Aquaduct was one of the great childhood memories.The cheering when you passed another coach,the look on the faces of the kids who had never seen the sea before and when we got back to the club the kids talent contest

• 2 weeks later...

yes I remember going to all thetime at night before the outing asking outside the clubs asking the committee men have you any spare tickets please for my brothers and me for all the clubs in Attercliffe they would wait till closing time then come out with a wad of tickets and say how many son god it was a great feeling the rads moulders non potts att libs ackadock darnall libs we used to go away with nearly every club and ten bob in our pocket then on the way home a pop and a sandwich with a bun as welldinner at the winter gardens fish and chips peas great days .:D

Went with La Plata WMC where my dad was a member .

I also went once with the Owlerton Greyhound track club.

Mrs Yates who had a sweet shop on Penistone Rd across from the park eas a member and gave my mother her ticket for one child at the annual outing.

I also went on a trip on the train.I do not know anything about the organization that ran the trip but two kids from our school were chosen

We were p**s poor and i suspect the other family were as well

The main reason we were poor was the La Plata WMC

• 4 months later...

In the 50's and 60's each WMC used to run trips to the sea side. I can remember loads of coaches, charabangs, from the french charabancs l believe, and it always seemed to be Cleethorpes. You were given tickets to use on the rides and a fish and chip dinner. The dinner was in a huge place with long tables and as the plates were passed down kids used to pinch your chips. I was quite lucky as my Dad was a drummer and member of several clubs.

Remember the trips to cleethorpes and the fish & chip tea, Was the fun fair called Wonderland or something similar.

It was the nearest a lot of us got to see the sea in the years following the war 1950s.