Childrens pub and club trips 1950s

I remember the top 3 clubs at the manor top the park and arbouthrone, the manor social, and the Arundel there would be about 40 coaches taking hundreds of children and committee men along with a few parents to control them on there way back there would be kids being sick all over the place including the committee men and parents all very good

---------- Post added 19-02-2016 at 23:36 ----------

Gotcha'..... and the.....'Prospect view' (Cuckoo) ..... also the 'Upper Heeley WMC' all long gone of course.... and on occasions the 'Wagon and horses' and the one up 'Penns road' .... the 'Newfield' ? ..... Cheers DGJ

I had my first pint in the newfield I had 3 pints and my mate jimmy had the same as we left we both throw up that became our local till we were 18 that was when we were 16 steve xx

I remember these very well. I went on them regularly and loved them all. I think I enjoyed the coach journey as much as the activities at the destination. I went on trips from St Philips WMC, Arundel ex-servicemens, Park & Arbourthorne, Manor, both Heeley clubs, Steel Inn pub, Mote Hall pub. The pub ones were looked upon less favourably because the spending money wasn't so good, 7/6d with the Steel Inn compared to the best I ever had, 25/- with the Arundel.

The more seasoned amonst us developed a preference for the different coaches with Littlewoods and Excelsior coaches being favourites of my group of friends. Littlewoods coaches were named, "Empress of Torquay" and the like. We would try and swap tickets to get on a decent coach. The two worst trips I recall were in the mid/late sixties. On one trip we ended up on a Bedford OB which was ancient by that time and struggled getting up a hill near Lincoln and the other was a coach which had clearly been a very stylish vehicle earlier in it's life but at the time we went on it I think its final destination of the scrapyard was getting very near. It was green and had "Pride of Manvers" or something similar painted across the front. The interior was very worn and the coach struggled keeping up with the rest of the convoy. I really liked it though because the styling was different from most of the other coaches, it had just seen better days.

I remember these very well. I went on them regularly and loved them all. I think I enjoyed the coach journey as much as the activities at the destination. I went on trips from St Philips WMC, Arundel ex-servicemens, Park & Arbourthorne, Manor, both Heeley clubs, Steel Inn pub, Mote Hall pub. The pub ones were looked upon less favourably because the spending money wasn't so good, 7/6d with the Steel Inn compared to the best I ever had, 25/- with the Arundel.

The more seasoned amonst us developed a preference for the different coaches with Littlewoods and Excelsior coaches being favourites of my group of friends. Littlewoods coaches were named, "Empress of Torquay" and the like. We would try and swap tickets to get on a decent coach. The two worst trips I recall were in the mid/late sixties. On one trip we ended up on a Bedford OB which was ancient by that time and struggled getting up a hill near Lincoln and the other was a coach which had clearly been a very stylish vehicle earlier in it's life but at the time we went on it I think its final destination of the scrapyard was getting very near. It was green and had "Pride of Manvers" or something similar painted across the front. The interior was very worn and the coach struggled keeping up with the rest of the convoy. I really liked it though because the styling was different from most of the other coaches, it had just seen better days.

-----------

Great pubs and clubs, Grimesthorpe Club did good kiddies trips

to Skegness. I remember when i lived up Southey Green i use to

go in Southey Club and they had about 24 or more coaches on days

trips, good days. :thumbsup: