Banning the Burqa top of BNP list LOL.

I find the whole issue of Burqa's really difficult as it tugs at all sorts of liberal strands inside me. On the one hand there is the freedom of expression, whether religious or not, on the other hand there is the inert nature of gender suppression that can not be denied with them (regardless of whether the women choose to or not). I also know that it is used as a tool by extreme islamists to gain control of a population, as has happened in the revolution in Persia with the rise of the Ayatollah and all the consequences of suppressing women that ensued.

I find it so complicated that, for once, I have no defined opinion on the matter.

(But I do know that the BNP is against everything I stand for!)

In which case..you're not to overly worry. The monster loony shark finn soup party are more of a threat.

If 50% of bank robbers conceal a weapon in their clothes nobody's going to insist anyone entering a bank should be naked. The whole burka/bank robbery argument is a straw man - objections to burka wearing should be more substantive.

Wearing a burka doesn't seem to be a fundamental part of being a Muslim, otherwise all Muslim women would wear them. I think those women who choose to wear the burka are culturally conditioned to do so - they are not really free not to wear them because they'd face censure from the families and/or community.

It isn't reasonable to ask people not to undress to enter a bank but it is reasonable to ask them not to cover their face. There is no strawman argument... Not covering you face makes it easy to identify robbers.

I personally have no sympathy or time for such nonsense. If their silly beliefs cause them difficulties then that is there problem.

I think it is the fact that many of the women who wear it have no option. I know they will come on here and spout about it being their choice, but that probably wasn't an option either.

---------- Post added 07-05-2014 at 16:09 ----------

And the fact that most muslim men get so upset at the very mention of banning it probably proves my last post.

Ha ha, I'm no fan of the burka myself but it doesn't give me or anyone else the right to dictate what people wear.

It isn't reasonable to ask people not to undress to enter a bank but it is reasonable to ask them not to cover their face. There is no strawman argument... Not covering you face makes it easy to identify robbers.

If it's not a significant risk, and the banks don't think it is, then it's surely not reasonable to ask them not to cover their face.

I think those women who choose to wear the burka are culturally conditioned to do so. - they are not really free not to wear them because they'd face censure from the families and/or community.
I don't. Those minority Muslim women who choose to wear the burka here in the UK are usually quite strong independent women making a statement rather then doing so because of community pressure.

My own feeling is, that concealment of the face is a barrier in communication in situations where social interaction is required.

Ha ha, I'm no fan of the burka myself but it doesn't give me or anyone else the right to dictate what people wear.

I think that's the issue..does it have a history of dictatorship? Does it still hold that sentiment in other countries..thing is, how do you censor something without dictating. I don't have a problem with the item as a piece of clothing..what I do have is the problem of how it manifested itself historically...that I can only determine as male insecurity...nothing new in that concept though..even in a Western context.

Archived