Winter Warmers good fun

Does any one remember "Winter warmers" tin cans wi oils in " for foreign readers tin cans with holes in, a wire loop handle fill with sticks set fire to them and swing em around.Wouldn,t be aloud today

Kimmers hill (Bamforth st)had some very good clay use to make our warmer ovens then bake them in the Yorkshire ,but looking back we must have started fires all around Penistone rd including Wadsley behind the grave stones

Winter warmers or "bull roarers" were a more hazardous variety of "touch burner" - see this old thread. My post #5 describes how we made them:

I remember these from 50+ years ago. In 1954, Hillsborough Park pond was drained so they could build the concrete banks that still surround most of it. This exposed some lovely yellow clay (which we soon christened "cat sh*t clay"). We were fortunate in that our house on Dykes Hall Road had an old Yorkshire range in the (disused) cellar-kitchen, so we would light a fire and get to work with the wet clay. We formed it into brick shapes about seven inches long, then hollowed out each "brick" and made a hole in each end. The hollow bricks were then baked in the oven, and came out reassuringly hard. We would put cotton waste in them ("engine waste" that our dad cleaned his hands with at Firth Brown's) and light it. If need be the fire could be kept burning by blowing through one of the holes. Lovely for warming the hands on cold winter nights as you were sledging or going on cat-walks... We also made winter-warmers out of tin cans, and called them "bull-roarers" from the sound they made when we whirled them round on the end of a chain or length of wire. Memories...

Winter warmers or "bull roarers" were a more hazardous variety of "touch burner" - see this old thread. My post #5 describes how we made them:

I remember these from 50+ years ago. In 1954, Hillsborough Park pond was drained so they could build the concrete banks that still surround most of it. This exposed some lovely yellow clay (which we soon christened "cat sh*t clay"). We were fortunate in that our house on Dykes Hall Road had an old Yorkshire range in the (disused) cellar-kitchen, so we would light a fire and get to work with the wet clay. We formed it into brick shapes about seven inches long, then hollowed out each "brick" and made a hole in each end. The hollow bricks were then baked in the oven, and came out reassuringly hard. We would put cotton waste in them ("engine waste" that our dad cleaned his hands with at Firth Brown's) and light it. If need be the fire could be kept burning by blowing through one of the holes. Lovely for warming the hands on cold winter nights as you were sledging or going on cat-walks... We also made winter-warmers out of tin cans, and called them "bull-roarers" from the sound they made when we whirled them round on the end of a chain or length of wire. Memories...

What we knew as "Bull Roars" it was paper stuffed up the kitchen sink pipe and lit not very nice I know but it was fun being chased by outraged mams:hihi:

Archived